Subject: NGLTF April Activist Alert
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 12:25:36 -0400

*************************************************
NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE
          
             ACTIVIST ALERT

April 1995

2320 17th Street, NW  Washington, DC   20009
(202) 332-6483    FAX (202) 332-0207    TTY (202) 332-6219
EMAIL [email-masked]
*************************************************

CONGRESS COMES HOME

 U.S. Representatives and Senators are scheduled to return to their home
districts for a spring working recess this month making April an excellent
time to schedule local meetings with members of Congress.
 When arranging a congressional appointment, consider inviting individuals
from diverse backgrounds to join you.  A broader coalition will strengthen
your message.
 The following are suggested topics you might choose to discuss during your
meeting:

AIDS Funding:  At this writing Senate votes on AIDS funding cuts for fiscal
year 1995 and reauthorization of the Ryan White Care Act are still pending.
 Senate cosponsors are still needed for reauthorization of the CARE Act.  Ask
that Congress increase, reauthorize, and reappropriate AIDS funding for
research, prevention and services. 
Anti-Gay Legislation:  Already introduced are anti-gay bills from Sen. Jesse
Helms (R-NC) and Rep. Bob Dornan (R-CA 46th) with future attacks,
particularly on gay and lesbian youth, anticipated.  Tell your congressperson
the real stories of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth and adults.
 Ask that s/he vote against attacks on our community.
Employment Non-Discrimination:   ENDA,  a bill to prohibit workplace
discrimination against gay, lesbian, and bisexual employees, will soon be
reintroduced.  Ask your congressperson to become a cosponsor.
Welfare Reform:  Senators still have an opportunity to pass meaningful
welfare reform that does not punish women and their children and avoids the
punitive measures passed in the House.
Arts Funding:  Efforts to slash funding for the National Endowment for the
Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Corporation for
Public Broadcasting are well under way in both chambers.  Explain how these
cuts will hurt your community.
Censorship:  Sen. James Exon (D-NE) attached an amendment to the Senate
telecommunications bill which would mandate unconstitutional restrictions on
the content of private mail or conversation sent through electronic or
computer networks.  Request that Congress first study electronic
communication laws before suggesting legislation.
Affirmative Action:  Many members of Congress, falsely asserting that
affirmative action is a quota system irrespective of merit, are working to
curtail or eliminate affirmative action policies.  Express your support for
affirmative action programs.

ACTION: Schedule meetings with your senators and representative during  the
April recess.  Check the blue 'government' pages of your local phone book
 for contact information in your area.

***

ALASKA MARRIAGE BATTLE

 Two bills recently introduced in the Alaska State Legislature could slow the
efforts of local activists working for domestic partnership and marriage for
same-sex couples in Alaska.  HB226 would prohibit domestic partnership
benefits for state and university employees.  HB227 would bar legal
recognition of same-sex marriages.  If passed, Alaska would become the second
state to pass legislation banning marriage for same-sex couples.  Currently,
no U.S. state recognizes marriage for same-sex couples.

ACTION:  Write or call Alaska Governor Tony Knowles.  Tell him that you
oppose these bills as anti-family, discriminatory and unnecessary.  Ask Gov.
Knowles to veto the bills as written if either is passed by the legislature.
 Write:  Governor Knowles, State Capitol, PO Box 110001, Juneau, AK, 99811.
 Call:  (907) 465-3500 Fax:  (907) 465-3980  Email:
 [email-masked]

***

RADIO ACTIVISM

 On Sunday, May 7, from 8 PM to 10 PM EST, the National Lesbian & Gay Radio
Town Meeting will broadcast live via satellite across the country.  The
call-in format broadcast will feature national leaders and grassroots
activists discussing the rise of the anti-gay right wing and successful
strategies for countering radical right initiatives in local communities.
 In a separate issue, "This Way Out" radio, a non-profit radio service
providing award-winning weekly gay and lesbian programming, is currently
heard on more than 85 stations internationally.  The weekly show needs your
support in order to expand its broadcasting potential.

ACTION:  Contact your local radio stations, particularly  the Pacifica
Network  and local public radio.  Urge them to broadcast the groundbreaking
two-hour town meeting and the weekly radio show.  Then be sure to tune in.
 Radio stations may contact Bert Wylen, producer of the town meeting, (215)
772-9010 for broadcast information.  Radio stations and the public can
contact "This Way Out" radio for more information on the weekly broadcast.
 Call (213) 874-0874 or email [email-masked].

***

MAINE WON'T DISCRIMINATE

Maine will face its first anti-gay state ballot measure on election day this
year.  According to Maine Won't Discriminate, a group formed to combat the
initiative, the language of the bill cloaks its anti-gay message in indirect
language but if passed,  would repeal many laws including an
anti-discrimination ordinance in Portland that protects gay men, lesbians,
and bisexuals from employment and housing discrimination.

ACTION:  If you are planning a summer trip to Maine, contact the Maine Won't
Discriminate headquarters for information on volunteering at one of the many
local chapters across the state.  Call (207) 761-1788.

***

YOUTH ORGANIZING

 NGLTF is pleased to announce its first ever Youth Leadership Training
Institute.  Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender young leaders ages 16 to
24 are encouraged to apply for the week-long intensive which will take place
August 13-20 in Northern California.  Applications are due by June 14.

ACTION:  Write or fax NGLTF for Youth Leadership Training applications.
 Applications are also available on-line in the NGLTF area of America
On-Line's G/L Community forum.  Or email:  [email-masked].

 The Progressive Student Leadership Exchange sponsors a summer program for
young adults (ages 15-26) to spend part of the summer volunteering for
progressive causes across the country.  This year, volunteers will work in
Oregon, California, and Maine.  Applications are due by late May.

ACTION:  For more information on the Progressive Student Leadership Exchange
call Gary Schiff, program coordinator, (612) 724-5942 or email
[email-masked].

***

NATIONAL RESOURCES

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force provides direct assistance and
resources for thousands of activists across the country.  The accompanying
NGLTF Fact Sheet has been provided to update you on our programs and
resources.  
---

If you have an item you think should be included in ACTIVIST ALERT, please
mail or fax it to , Activist Alert,  NGLTF Policy Institute, 2320 17th St.,
NW, Washington, DC  20009; fax (202) 332-0207; e-mail [email-masked].  All
entries should be national in scope or should allow for activists from around
the country to respond.

---

  National Gay & Lesbian Task Force  FACT SHEET

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) is the oldest national gay
and lesbian civil rights advocacy organization.   In its more than twenty
years, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force has served as a front-line
activist organization on every major initiative for lesbian and gay freedom.
 The Task Force works to create a society where lesbian, gay, bisexual and
transgendered people can live free from violence, bigotry, and
discrimination.

NGLTF was founded in 1973 in New York City and is now headquartered in
Washington, D.C.  The Task Force has 24 full-time staff members and a
25-person board of directors.   NGLTF is the national resource center for
grassroots lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender activists fighting
anti-gay attacks by the Far Right, organizing to end job discrimination,
working for repeal of sodomy laws, fighting for family rights, championing
proactive health care solutions, working to end violence, rallying against
discrimination on campus, working to build resources for young people, and
much more.

In the midst of the growing power of the Radical Right both in Congress and
throughout the country, NGLTF has reorganized to become a more powerful voice
for change.   We believe that a new era demands a new vision.  The Task
Force's new vision distributes our work into three areas: Field Organizing,
the Policy Institute and Public Policy.

 Field Organizing  

The Field Department strengthens the activities of the movement at the state
and local level while connecting these activities to a national vision for
change.  

The Media Department provides technical assistance to local organizers on
working with and influencing the media.

Field Organizers maintain consistent communication with local organizers
throughout the country and provide crisis assistance and troubleshooting,
provide quick response to requests for information, and distribute
publications.  Contact the NGLTF Field Office by phone, fax, tty, mail or
e-mail (listed at top of this publication).

 The Policy Institute   
      
NGLTF is in the process of fully activating our educational affiliate, the
Policy Institute, into a forum for the most vibrant analysts and organizers
in our movement to produce information and materials to be used by activists
all over the country and the movement at large.  

The Policy Institute will convene summits, gatherings, and strategy sessions
to draw together activists, academics, and analysts to articulate vision for
the movement and to help connect the work of local organizers to a
long-range, strategic agenda for change.

 Public Policy   

The Public Policy Department works on the federal level to advocate for
lesbian and gay civil and human rights, to participate in national coalitions
to further the movement, and to monitor legislation and policy affecting
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered people.  

The Public Policy Department works closely with the Field Department to
mobilize local organizers to respond to action at the federal level in three
ways: the NGLTF monthly Activist Alert mailing, telephone mobilization, and
e-mail mobilization.

The Media Department works to bring public attention to issues affecting
lesbian, gay, and and bisexual people, and to advance the lesbian and gay
movement through the media.  NGLTF puts special emphasis on local stories
that have national impact. 

 Special Events during 1995  

8th Annual Creating Change Conference * As the National Skills-Building
Conference for the movement, Creating Change brings together lesbian, gay,
bisexual, and transgendered leaders and provides them with an opportunity to
learn new skills, network, and develop a deeper understanding of important
issues.  The 1995 Creating Change Conference will be held November 8-12 in
Detroit, Michigan.  

Movement Building Institutes * NGLTF will travel to 10 of our country's hot
spots, directly building the base of the movement while preparing communities
to fight against attacks from the Radical Right.  The Institutes help
organizations build their capacity to be in the fight for the long term by
providing training on fundraising, media, research and data collection, and
coalition building.  

Youth Leadership Training Institute * NGLTF will bring together 20 lesbian,
gay, bisexual, and transgendered youth in August.  The Institute will provide
essential skills-building and community-organizing training to activists from
every region of the country in order to provide them the opportunity to seize
the tools they need to lead and to create change.  

 Membership   

The Task Force has over 35,000 members nationwide.  Membership dues are $35
for individual, $60 for household, $20 for limited income and $125 for
cooperating organizations.  More than 100 groups and organizations
participate in the NGLTF Cooperating Organization program and receive
detailed monthly packets of information containing news about what NGLTF is
doing, what is happening in our movement, and what other organizations are
doing.  Please call Membership Services at (202)332-6483, ext. 3211 if you
have any questions.

Members who give a cumulative gift of $1000 or more during a year become
members of the NGLTF Policy institute Leadership Council.  Please call
(202)332-6483, ext. 3314 to find out more about the benefits of being a
member of the Leadership Council.