Subject: Activist Alert-September 1994
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 94 16:09:41 EDT

NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE POLICY INSTITUTE
2320 17th St., NW
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 332-6483
(202) 332-0207 fax
(202) 332-6219 TTY
[email-masked]

ACTIVIST ALERT

SEPTEMBER 1994

1. IDAHO & OREGON NEED YOUR SUPPORT
 This  year began with the radical right threatening anti-gay ballot measures
in nearly a dozen states. Months later, that number has been battled down to
two: Idaho and Oregon. Many states breathed a sigh of relief, but prepare for
battles on other fronts or on future ballots. Meanwhile, activists in Idaho
and Oregon must face expensive anti-gay campaigns that divide communities.
 In Idaho, the Idaho Citizens Alliance has placed on the ballot Proposition
1, which would repeal and block laws and policies that prohibit
discrimination against lesbians, gay men and bisexuals; prohibit  same-sex
marriage and domestic partnerships; bar discussing homosexuality in schools
and using of public funds to express acceptance of homosexuality; and allow
employers to consider sexual orientation as a factor in personnel decisions.
The No On One Campaign is heading the opposition to this measure.
 In Oregon, Lon Mabon, head of the Oregon Citizens Alliance, has successfully
placed on the ballot a measure that local activists are calling, "Son of 9."
 The new measure, Measure 13, or the Child Protection and Minority Status
Act, is a "cleaned-up" version of 1992's defeated Measure 9. Like the
defeated  Measure 9, Measure 13 would permanently legalize discrimination.
Its provisions are similar to those of the Idaho initiative. This measure was
struck down by a lower court in Oregon in April, giving many people the
impression that it would not appear on the November ballot. However, that
ruling was reversed on September 1--MEASURE 13 WILL BE ON THE BALLOT. The
group fighting Measure 13 is the Support Our Communities PAC, also known as
No on 13. 
 Because of the large number of initiatives on the ballot in Oregon, media
spots are filling up quickly and money is needed sooner rather than later to
ensure important media buys. 
 Both measures will be on the ballots on November 8, 1994.
 
 Contributions are needed to keep up with opposition media buys, ad
campaigns, and polling. Supporters around the nation can assist the campaigns
by sponsoring fundraising house parties. Parties can feature viewings of
videos that counter the radical right's propaganda. Two new, pro-gay videos:
"Ballot Measure Nine," 80 minutes, available for $22 from 54 W. 16th St.,
#12-J,  New York, NY 10011 and "Straight from the Heart," 24 minutes,
available for $39.95 from Woman Vision, 3145 Geary Boulevard, Box 421, San
Francisco, CA 94118.
 Write/call for house party information kits from Diane Sands at the No On
One Campaign in Idaho: 6163 Clinton St., Boise, ID 83704; (208) 376-1599;
[email-masked]; and from Martha Allen, Support Our Communities PAC/No On
13, P.O. Box 40625, Portland, OR 97420; (503) 222-6151; [email-masked].

2. E-MAIL ACTIVISM
 Bills in Congress can move at a snail's pace (like health care in August) or
in rapid-fire succession (like Helms' anti-gay amendments). When Helms and
his allies move quickly, so must the gay/lesbian/bisexual community. 
 Senators may file an amendment without identifying its contents until they
reach the Senate floor to speak on the issue. Speeches then take time, as do
quorum counts and roll call votes. This gives a brief window of time when
calls from constituents are critically important. When anti-gay amendments
are put forward, the community must contact its legislators and urge them to
vote against the anti-gay measures. NGLTF often creates Legislative Alerts
outlining the negative amendments and describing alternative amendments that
legislators can support instead.
 If you're online, especially during day-time hours, send NGLTF you're e-mail
address. We'll add you to our Legislative Alert E-Mail Distribution List.
Send your address to Tanya Domi, Legislative Director, [email-masked] or
Beth Barrett, Public Information Assistant, [email-masked]

3. VIOLENCE IN TEXAS
 In Houston, police recently arrested four local high school football stars
and charged them with the brutal July murder of Michael Burzinski.  In
Irving, near Dallas, police charged Edwin Perkins with the August stabbing
murder of Larry David Allen.  Police now consider Perkins a suspect in the
killings earlier this year of Leopoldo Quintanilla Jr. and Larry Leggett.
 All the victims where gay.
 Texas is one of only two states in the country that has a vaguely-worded
statewide hate crimes law that does not specifically identify characteristics
that could be the target of bias. Police officers in Houston stated in press
reports that the murder was not a hate crime, although police also said the
youths targeted the victim because they had heard gay people make easy
targets and carry a lot of money.
 The Lesbian/Gay Rights Lobby of Texas is working with state legislators to
introduce a more specific and useful hate crimes law during the next session
of the legislature.
 
 Individuals and organizations around the country can assist the Lesbian/Gay
Rights Lobby of Texas in its campaign to enact a new hate crimes law. Send
letters from religious groups, community leaders, state legislators,
political groups, etc., in support of a new hate crimes law and a strong
stand against bias violence. Send letters to Diane Hardy-Garcia, Lesbian/Gay
Rights Lobby of Texas, P.O. Box 2579, Austin, TX 78768.   

4. WORKPLACE CONFERENCE
 Colorado will be the site of the fourth annual "Out & Equal in the 90s"
workplace conference, sponsored by NGLTF. The event will be held October 15 &
16 at the Radisson Hotel in Denver, with a one-day Human Resource Institute
on October 17.
 The event, this year titled "Working It Out in the Rockies," will feature
nearly 50 sessions that cover workplace issues for corporations, small
businesses, labor unions, public employment, and non-profit agencies. The
Oct. 17 one-day institute will be targeted toward human resource
professionals, including employee assistance counselors, equal employment
opportunity managers, and diversity trainers, who hold positions capable of
implementing gay-positive policies. The institute will include a three-hour
session entitled, "Successfully Implementing Domestic Partnership." 
 
 For more information about the Out & Equal in the 90s workplace conference
and the Human Resource Institute, call (303) 538-4318 or (202) 332-6483, ext.
3361.  

5. COMPANY REVOKES D.P. BENEFITS
 When software giant Computer Associates  (CA) acquired ASK/Ingres computer
company, CA revoked the existing domestic partnership policy for employees.
According to a Digital Queers newsletter, many employees have resigned for
this and other reasons. 

 Urge the company to reinstate domestic partner benefits. Write to Charles
Wang, Chairman; Sanjay Kuman, President; Computer Associates; 1 Computer
Associates Way, Islandia, NY 11788; 516-342-5224; 516-342-5329.