Subject: YOUTH LEADERSHIP TRAINING
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 18:39:16 -0400

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact:  Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483 ext. 3303 [email-masked]       or
Kerry Lobel (202) 332-6483 ext. 3307
[email-masked]
************************************
NGLTF YOUTH LEADERSHIP TRAINING INSTITUTE;
CALL FOR APPLICANTS

Washington, D.C., May 30, 1996...The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
(NGLTF) is proud to announce its second national training for young leaders.
 The NGLTF Youth Leadership Institute is a week-long, intensive training for
young lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender activists and organizers.  The
Youth Leadership Institute will bring together 20 queer young people from
across the country to learn grassroots organizing and leadership skills.

 This year's Institute will take place at a retreat center two and a half
hours from San Francisco from July 27 to August 7.  NGLTF will gather some of
our movement's best thinkers and organizers to conduct an intensive
grassroots organizing curriculum for the youth.  Workshops topics will
include "Developing Strategies and Building Coalitions," "The Nuts and Bolts
of Organizing," "Making News: Working with the Media" and more.  The training
will also include concrete skills-building workshops adapted to the specific
needs and interests of the participants.

 NGLTF will cover some costs for each youth who requires assistance to attend
the training, including travel, lodging, food, and other expenses.  However,
all accepted applicants must be able to cover some costs of the Institute,
either on their own or through fundraising.  NGLTF staff will be available to
assist accepted applicants with fundraising efforts.

 Each training participant will be expected to apply the skills and
experience gained during the training to a specific project in their
community.  In addition, graduates of the Institute will have the opportunity
to work hands-on with NGLTF staff and local activists organizing a
progressive response to the Republican National Convention during the week of
August 11 in San Diego.

 Applicants should be age 16 to 24, have activism and organizing experience
and be ready and willing to take a leadership role in organizing for the
rights and empowerment of queer youth.  Youth of color, young women, youth
with HIV or disabilities, bisexual and transgender young people, and youth in
rural areas are especially encouraged to apply.

 To receive a Youth Leadership Training Institute application, contact Field
Organizer Karen Bullock Jordan by phone at (202) 332-6483 ext. 3206 or email
at [email-masked].  Applications are also available on NGLTF's  web page
at http://www.ngltf.org.  Applications must be received by 6pm EST, Friday,
June 14.  Participants will be selected and notified by July 1.   

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is the country's oldest national gay
and lesbian group and is a progressive organization that has supported
grassroots organizing 1973.  

###