Subject: NGLTF Recieves Media Award
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 19:27:17 -0500

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Robert Bray (415) 552-6448 [email-masked]
or Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483 [email-masked]
************************************
TASK FORCE WINS "MEDIA HERO" AWARD

San Francisco, March 7, 1996...Citing it's "tough and creative" media
activism for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community, the
Institute for Alternative Journalism (IAJ) awarded the National Gay and
Lesbian Task Force and two staff members the 1996 Top Ten Media Heroes Award.

 The award was presented to Robert Bray, NGLTF media director, Scot Nakagawa,
NGLTF field program director, and to NGLTF as an organization at the
first-ever Media and Democracy Congress.  The Congress was attended by some
700 media makers, activists and pundits in San Francisco, February 29-March
3, 1996.  It focused on internet censorship and the Telecommunications Act,
the downsizing and "corporatization" of the media, the lack of access to
media and the democratic process by more and more Americans, and the need for
a stronger independent media.

 IAJ recognized NGLTF and its staffers "for tough, creative, and unrelenting
[media activism] efforts in a time when alternative viewpoints and
independent voices in the media have never been more vital."  The citation
was presented by Don Hazen, IAJ executive director, and David Mendoza, head
of the National Campaign for Freedom of Expression.

 "We are proud to accept this award and are honored the alternative media
industry has recognized our work on behalf of giving gays, lesbian, bisexuals
and transgendered people a voice in the American press," said NGLTF's Robert
Bray.   Bray and Nakagawa have been involved in media activism and
progressive organizing for more than 15 years each.  Both presented workshops
at the Congress, and Bray was on the event's advisory committee.  Indeed,
gay, lesbian and bisexual media types could be seen throughout the Congress
in gay-specific sessions and integrated in other workshops and panels.

 Others to receive the Media Heroes Award were Ana Deavere Smith, performance
artist and playwright; Leslie Savan, Village Voice critic and author; Juan
Gonzalez, New York Daily News columnist and author; essayist and "Snarling
Citizen" author Barbara Ehrenreich;  Pacifica Radio Network producers and
reporters Pat Scott and Julie Drizin; YO!, teen newspaper publisher Patti
Wolter; Linda Foley, Newspaper Guild president; Rocky Mountain Media Watch
director Paul Klite; Robert Downes and the Northern Express; and a special
recognition to media critic, author, professor, and "grandfather of
alternative journalism" Ben Bagdikian.

 The IAJ, founded in 1983, advocates for diversity of news opinions and
analysis.  It works to strengthen independent media, generate critical
awareness about media, and improve the research, investigative and online
capacity of the alternative press.  For more information about the Congress,
contact IAJ at (415)284-1420.
###