Subject: NGLTF Web Site Part of PlanetOut Mega Rollout

From: "ngltf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 96 16:54:23 EST

*********************************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
PRESS RELEASE
Contact:
Robert Bray  415/552-6448   [email-masked]
        pager 800/757-6476
2320 17th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009
http://www.ngltf.org
*********************************************************************

ATTENTION INFORMATION JUNKIES:
 
NGLTF WEB SITE PART OF PLANETOUT MEGA-ROLLOUT

VISIT US FOR PUBLICATIONS, ACTIVIST INFO, NEWS ON HOT SPOTS 

Washington, D.C., Oct. 3,  1996...Need information about what states have anti-
marriage laws?  Concerned about hostile legislation sponsored by the Radical
Right and looking for ways to fight back?  Want to know about the connections
between homophobia and attacks on immigrants?  How about press releases on the
latest breaking news stories?

    You can get this and plenty of other information by visiting Task Force
OnLine, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) World Wide Web page at 
<http://www.ngltf.org>.  NGLTF rolled out its Web page earlier this year as part
of its service to grassroots activists and those who just want more information
on topics of interest to the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (g/l/b/t)
movement.  Web users may log on to the page, receive the latest activist alerts
, order some NGLTF publications or download others for free, link to other g/l/
b/t online resources, and learn more about the Task Force.

    NGLTF participated in the initial roll out of PlanetOut on the Microsoft
Network (MSN), and on the PlanetOut AOL and World Wide Web ventures.  PlanetOut
is the first global online service geared to the social, educational,
professional, political and leisure interests of the g/l/b/t communities. 
PlanetOut is causing a buzz in the cyber world, with rave reviews of its
services.  Visit NGLTF on PlanetOut at <http://www.planetout.com>, AOL Keyword:
planetout, MSN Go Word : planetout.

    Currently on NGLTF's web page are a variety of best-selling activist
publications.  Users may download for free several NGLTF popular titles,
including Beyond the Beltway: A State By State Survey of Gay-Related
Legislation; Power At the Polls: The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Vote;  Here To Stay:
A Working Paper on Lesbian and Gay Family Issues; the 

NGLTF Linkages series on the connections between homophobia and affirmative
action, immigrants rights and welfare;  and other publications.  Additional
titles available for ordering include, To Have and To Hold, Organizing For Our
Right to Marry; and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Campus Organizing: A
Comprehensive Manual. 

    Users may also receive research papers from the NGLTF Policy Institute --
the movement's progressive "think tank" of activists and analysts.  There is a
full listing of all NGLTF Activist Alerts, press releases and opinion editorials
in the web site media area that feature information about hot spot issues around
the country.  This area is also fully searchable by keyword.   There's also an
extensive calendar of upcoming events, including speaking tours of staff
members, plus information about NGLTF volunteer and intern opportunities.

    The NGLTF web page has received awards and positive reviews, including
mentions in OUT Magazine <http://www.out.com>; the Magellan Internet guide <
http://magellan.mckinley.com> and Webactive, a new weekly world wide web
publication featuring the latest in activism and progressive politics on the
Internet <http://www.webactive.com>. 

    Coming to the web page will be a vast NGLTF Online Activist Database and
information about the growing network of grassroots g/l/b/t organizations. 
Users may also register for NGLTF conferences, including the annual Creating
Change skills-building gathering.  This year's Creating Change conference will
be held Nov. 6-10 in the Washington, D.C. area. Visitors may also use the web to
join the Task Force and receive membership information.

    "Since 1993, when NGLTF became the first national gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgender organization to host an online forum, our computer resources have
become more available to more activists  said Scott Mindeaux, NGLTF Information
Systems director. "In an environment where instant access to critical
information is  the deciding factor for successful organizing, NGLTF's web site
can help make a difference and build a true grassroots movement."

    Those not on the Internet may still order Task Force publications by calling
the NGLTF Publications Line at (202)332-6483, ext. 3327.   A complete list of
publications may also be obtained from this number.  Or email your request to
[email-masked].  NGLTF charges a nominal fee for its larger publications to
cover postage and handling.

    For more information about the NGLTF Web page, contact Scott Mindeaux,
(202)332-6483, ext. 3214, [email-masked].

###