Subject: NGLTF Urges Veto of SD Anti-Gay Marriage Bill
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 13:07:09 -0500

******************************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009
Contact:  Kerry Lobel, 202-332-6483 x3307
         pager 1-800-sky-page, PIN 920-0158
******************************************************

TASK FORCE URGES SOUTH DAKOTA GOVERNOR 
TO VETO ANTI-GAY MARRIAGE BILL

Feb. 16, 1996, Washington, DC...The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force has 
urged South Dakota Governor William Janklow to veto HB 1143, a bill
prohibiting 
same-gender marriage, saying "the myths, stereotypes and lies associated with

this kind of legislation can cause harassment, intolerance, and even
violence."

    In a letter to the Governor sent today, Melinda Paras, NGLTF executive 
director, urged the Governor to veto the measure. Yesterday, the South Dakota

Senate passed House Bill 1143 on a 26-8 vote.  According to activist Barry
Wick 
of Free Americans Creating Equal Status of South Dakota, the vote followed on

the heals of a 4-2 deferment from the Senate Judiciary Committee that would
have 
killed the bill.  The committee's decision did not stand and the full Senate 
voted to "smoke-out" the bill to bring it up for a vote.  The House State 
Affairs committee also turned down the bill, 8-5,  on a tabling motion.  The 
full House took back the legislation and passed it 49-18.  Should the
Governor 
sign the bill, the law will read that marriage is only for a man and a woman.

Wick said, "The government of this state has allowed the legislation of hate
and 
the creation of a second class citizen. "

    South Dakota would become the second state, along with Utah, to ban legal

recognition of same-gender marriage.  Currently, 18 other states are
considering 
such legislation.  "The  people of South Dakota are being held hostage by 
rightwing extremists," stated Kerry Lobel, NGLTF deputy director.  This bill
is 
not only about same-gender marriage.  Same gender marriage is not legal in
South 
Dakota or anywhere else.  This bill is about national rightwing extremist
groups 
inserting themselves into the business of state governments to forward their 
deplorable agenda of intolerance and hatred," added Lobel.  

    NGLTF has issued an action alert to its members around the country asking

them to contact Governor Janklow and urge him to veto the bill.

    The full text of the letter follows, and is attributable to Melinda
Paras, 
executive director, NGLTF.

--more--

South Dakota Anti-Gay Marriage Bill, Page 2

Governor William Janklow
500 East Capital Ave.
 Pierre, SD  57501-5070

Dear Governor Janklow,

On behalf of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and our 35,000 members 
around the country, I am writing to urge you to veto HB 1143.

The values of justice, equality, fairness, compassion and generosity are ones

that have guided the residents of South Dakota.  However, the sponsors of HB 
1143 have attempted to use old fears and prejudices to whip up new hatreds
and 
have used naked, undisguised homophobia to create confusion. The  myths, 
stereotypes and lies associated with this kind of legislation can cause 
harassment, intolerance, and even violence.

We urge to you to stand firm against this hatred and prejudice and veto this 
legislation.  The residents of South Dakota, indeed the nation, look to you
to 
stop this injustice.

Sincerely,

Melinda Paras
Executive Director
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

For more information on HB 1143, contact:

Barry Wick, Executive Director
Free American Creating Equal Status of South Dakota, Inc.
605-343-5577
FAX 605-394-8962
email: [email-masked]
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/usa/south_dakota/FACES
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/orgs/FACES

###