Subject: NGLTF Urges Passage of Bill to Repeal DoD HIV Provision
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 13:09:27 -0500

******************************************************
ACTION ALERT
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009
******************************************************

BILL INTRODUCED TO REPEAL HIV PROVISION IN DOD BILL
NGLTF CHALLENGES DOLE AND GINGRICH TO LEAD THE WAY

Representatives Peter Torkildsen (R-Mass), Jane Harman (D-CA), Connie Morella
(R-MD) and Ron Dellums (D-CA) have introduced HB 2959, a bill to repeal a
provision signed into law as part of the Defense Authorization Bill that will
discharge service members with HIV.  Eighty-eight representatives have
already signed on as co-sponsors for the bill.

This provision, authored by ultra-conservative Congressman Robert Dornan, was
supported by the Radical Right and passed by the Republican Congress. The 
provision instructs the Pentagon to discharge all service members living with

HIV within six months.  Although the Clinton Administration has claimed that
the 
provision is unconstitutional and court tests are expected, it is critical
that 
the provision be repealed by Congress.

Melinda Paras, NGLTF executive director, called on Senate and House leaders  
Robert Dole and Newt Gingrich to work aggressively for the provision's
repeal.  
Paras said, "We look to the Congressional leadership to drop their rhetoric
and 
take the high road leading toward respect, compassion and fairness for
service 
members living with HIV."

NGLTF urges activists to write, phone or fax Representative and Senators and
ask 
them for their support to repeal this discriminatory provision.

-end-