Subject: TASK FORCE UNMASKS STEPFORD CONVENTION
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 12:52:23 -0400

********************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
PRESS RELEASE
contact:   Robert Bray or Tracey Conaty
pager 800/757-6476       voice 619/595-7949
Gay and Lesbian Media Center, Republican Natl Convention, San Diego
********************************************************

TASK FORCE UNMASKS  "STEPFORD CONVENTION"

San Diego, August 13, 1996...The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF)
denounced attempts by the GOP to mask itself as a party of moderation at this
week's convention.  NGLTF, the country's oldest national gay and lesbian
civil rights group, pointed to the platform and convention's content versus
the veneer of reduced rhetoric.

 In a convention analysis, the Task Force pointed to the difference between
1992's GOP convention in Houston and this year's event, especially in terms
of overt hostile rhetoric.   "Perhaps we should claim victory," stated Task
Force executive director Melinda Paras.   "Years of organizing and activism
have changed the way a majority of Americans feel about gay people.  The
homophobic, divisive and hateful rhetoric so prominent in Houston in 1992
will not play now.  And the Republican leadership knows this.  We have made
prime-time gay bashing a political liability.  We have taught them they
cannot win the election if they reveal their true face.  It is our job now to
tear off their mask," added Paras.

 "The American people will see that the true face of the GOP is that of Pat
Buchanan and the Christian Coalition.  In fact, it's Pat's Platform, lock,
stock and barrel," continued  Paras.  Paras charged the GOP with rewriting
 its checkered history related to  AIDS funding by falsely claiming a record
of support for  AIDS research and prevention.  

 "This is nothing but a bold-faced lie," stated Paras.  "It was this GOP that
placed serious limits on the efforts of AIDS educators to speak plainly about
sex and sexuality.  This is a platform that, while it claims to support equal
opportunity for all, continues to perpetuate discrimination against gay
people and inadequate AIDS/HIV funding,"  added Paras.
   
  Despite speeches by Colin Powell invoking the party of Lincoln and
celebrating diversity,  Jack Kemp, a conservative with a humane face, and
Susan Molinari, a woman of the "post-feminist" generation who combines career
and motherhood, it's extremely difficult to find any real moderate voices at
the GOP convention

 According to Paras, "There is a strange, almost surreal atmosphere presiding
over the San Diego.  All the delegates, podium speakers, GOP officials, and,
for that matter, much of the media, are mouthing the message of moderation.
 Everyone has fallen in line.  All is perfect and harmonious.  It's the
Stepford Wives Convention."
###