Subject: THE GAY VOTE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 17:40:24 -0400

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Robert Bray or Tracey Conaty 
(202) 332-6483 ext. 3303 
[email-masked]     [email-masked]
or John D'Emilio at (202)332-6483, ext. 3302  [email-masked].
************************************
GAYS AND THE 1996 ELECTIONS:

NEW REPORT SPOTLIGHTS VOTING BLOC THAT COULD MAKE KEY DIFFERENCE IN
PRESIDENTIAL RACE

NATIONAL VOTER REGISTRATION CAMPAIGN,
 GOP CONVENTION ACTIONS ANNOUNCED

Washington, D.C.,  April 19, 1996...The 1996 Presidential Elections have
already featured gay issues in a dramatic way.  Bob Dole, Patrick Buchanan,
Bill Clinton and others have all made headlines on homosexuality.  Now, the
nation's oldest gay and lesbian civil rights group is releasing a new report
that presents one of the first distinct portraits of gay voters and prompts
the question, Will candidates court or castigate the gay vote?

 The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) will release a new survey,
"Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Vote,"  the first statistically reliable portrait of
self-identified gay voters, at a press conference in Washington, D.C. on
April 25, 1996.  The press conference will also feature "Promote the Vote,"
an unprecedented national gay voter registration campaign, plus plans for
protests, rallies and other actions at the GOP Convention in San Diego.

What:  Press conference on "Gays and the 1996 Elections" to release
groundbreaking   new survey that profiles the demographics and political
leanings of gay   voters.  Also, a report on the Promote The Vote national
registration    campaign and activities planned for the GOP Convention in San
Diego.

When  Thursday, April 25, 10 a.m., The National Press Club, 14th and F Sts.
& Where: NW, Washington, DC, the "Murrow" Room.

Who:  DR. JOHN D'EMILIO, director, NGLTF Policy Institute; noted
    historian, author, academic.

  CARMEN VASQUEZ, Public Policy director, New York Gay and    Lesbian
Community Center, and activist with "Promote the Vote."

  TONY VALENZUELA and BRENDA SCHUMACHER, co-chairs, LGBY   VOICES '96, an ad
hoc coalition planning actions at the GOP Convention.

For more information contact Tracey Conaty or Robert Bray at (202)332-6483,
ext. 3303; or John D'emilio at (202)332-6483, ext. 3302.
###