Subject: RENO RESPONDS TO NGLTF
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:15:53 -0400

ATTORNEY GENERAL RENO RESPONDS TO TASK FORCE INQUIRY;

ASSURES NGLTF THAT ANTI-LESBIAN BIAS IS BEING CONSIDERED IN SLAYINGS OF WOMEN
IN SHENANDOAH  PARK

Washington, DC, June  20, 1995....Attorney General Janet Reno has assured the
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) that investigators are
considering anti-lesbian bias as a possible motivation in the slaying of
Julianne Williams and Lollie Winans.  In a letter to NGLTF executive director
Melinda Paras, Reno stated investigators are "... pursing all motives,
including the possibility that the crime was motivated by the sexual
orientation of the victims."

 Williams and Winans were found murdered in Virginia's Shenandoah National
Park on June 1.  Many in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender
community and others familiar with the nature of hate crimes fear the
killings could have been an anti-lesbian hate crime.  This fear stems from
the fact that the women, according to press reports and friends of the women,
were lesbians; robbery was not involved in the crime; and no other motive has
apparently been established.  Also, the Appalachian Trail was the site of
 the 1988 murder of Rebecca Wight. Wight was murdered, and her partner,
Claudia Brenner, was seriously injured after being shot because they were
lesbians.  

 The Task Force contacted Attorney General Reno by letter on June 7 when
concerns were raised that the possibility of a hate crime was not being
seriously considered by investigators.  These concerns stemmed from a
conversation with an FBI official involved in the case and from various
statements to the press by investigators that indicated the possibility of
anti-lesbian bias was being prematurely dismissed.  Executive Director
Melinda Paras issued the following statement in response to the Attorney
General's letter:

We are gratified and relieved that the Justice Department is examining all
possible motives in the tragic murder of Julie Williams and Lollie Winans.
 With Attorney General Reno's assurance that anti-lesbian bias is being
seriously considered, the Task Force is now able to express confidence in the

investigation to our community and all involved in the struggle against bias
violence.  NGLTF will, of course, continue to monitor the investigation with
vigilance.  The Task Force will continue to work with the Justice Department
and the FBI and to educate the larger public about the nature of hate
violence.  We hope the Attorney General's letter will finally put an end to
statements by investigators that have given the impression the possibility of
anti-lesbian bias is not being considered.  Such statements are a disservice
to all those working to solve this horrific crime and add to the
misunderstandings of bias crime by the greater public.

We do not know if Julie and Lollie were killed because they were lesbians.
 We do know, unfortunately, such a possibility is all too real.  We also know
it is important that all hate crimes be identified accurately and honestly by
the media and the criminal justice system.  Silence about such crimes feeds
the apathy and ignorance that often surrounds them.  Silence around hate
violence and the possibility of such violence also ignores the other victims
of these crimes - whole communities who live in fear and danger as a result
of individual anti-gay attacks.  

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is grateful for Attorney General
Reno's understanding and response to our concerns and the DOJ's commitment to
a comprehensive investigation.  It is our hope that future statements to the
press by investigating officials will enhance our confidence in the
investigation, not undermine it.  It is our hope that the killer or killers
of Julie and Lollie are found quickly and brought to justice and our
questions about the nature of these killings are finally answered.

Shirley Lesser of Virginians for Justice, a statewide organization that
advances equal justice gay, lesbian bisexual and transgender citizens of the
Commonwealth of Virginia, issued the following statement in response to the
Attorney General's letter:

Virginians for Justice (VJ) is pleased that Department of Justice listened
and responded in a timely fashion to our concerns.  Though individual
investigators assured us that all possible motives are being pursued, we are
relieved to have this officially confirmed by the Attorney General.  VJ will
continue to work closely with the Virginia State Police and the investigative
team to ensure a quick resolution to this case.

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is  the oldest  national gay and
lesbian group and is a progressive organization that has supported grassroots
organizing and pioneered in national advocacy since 1973.  Since its
inception, NGLTF has been at the forefront of virtually every major
initiative for lesbian and gay rights.  In all its efforts, NGLTF helps to
strengthen the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender movement at the state
level while connecting these activities to a national vision for change.

###