Subject: NGLTF Workplace Conference
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 19:17:13 -0500

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Robert Bray (415) 552-6448 [email-masked]
or Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483 [email-masked]
************************************

CORPORATIONS SUPPORT GAY AND LESBIAN CONFERENCE AGAINST WORKPLACE
DISCRIMINATION

GATHERING TO FEATURE COMPANY EXECS,
GAY EMPLOYEE GROUPS

Washington, DC, March 21, 1996...When it comes to equal rights for gay,
lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, some would argue the boardroom is
far outpacing the halls of government.  For example, more than 350 employers,
many from corporate America -- including such blue-chip titans as AT&T,
Disney, Eastman-Kodak and Xerox -- currently have domestic partnership
benefits and other recognitions for their gay employees.  And even though job
discrimination based on sexual orientation is still pervasive, the list of
supportive companies is expected to grow dramatically.

 Which is why hundreds of representatives from the American workplace,
including large and small companies, employee groups, human resource
executives, labor organizers and others are gathering next month for the 5th
Annual "Out and Equal in the 90s" National Conference on Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual, and Transgender Workplace Issues.  The conference will be held
April 20-21 at the Ramada Hotel in San Francisco.  A special Human Resource
Professionals Institute will be held on April 19.  The gathering is sponsored
by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF).

 "Out and Equal in the 90s" is the premier national educational forum for
people dedicated to changing the work environment to be a safer, more
productive place for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees.  A
"who's who" of gay workplace America is expected to attend.

 Several companies have sponsored the conference and representatives from
their gay employee groups will attend.  AT&T is sponsoring the event with a
$5,000 gift.  Pacific Gas and Electric has also contributed $5,000.   The
Chevron Lesbian and Gay Employees Association, PacBell, The Mentor Group and
others have signed up for sponsorships.

 "AT&T, in partnership with LEAGUE, our lesbian/gay/bisexual employee
resource group, is proud to support NGLTF's fifth annual conference on
workplace issues," said AT&T Community Involvement Manager Allen Scott and
LEAGUE-Northern California Co-chair Michael Albert.  "The conference's focus
reflects AT&T's Common Bond values that include the importance of treating
each other with respect and dignity, and valuing individual and cultural
differences." 

 Keynoting the Human Resources (HR) pre-conference will be Hechter Motroni,
Corporate vice president of Human Resources and Quality, Xerox Corporation.
 Kate Butler, founding director of the American Humanagement Association, a
human resources consulting and training firm specializing in the integration
of women and other "corporate cultural foreigners" into companies, will
provide the HR day lunch speech.  Frank Kameny, long-time civil rights
activist, will give the plenary speech.

 Dozens of workshops, plenaries, panels and other presentations will be
offered.  Workshop topics include, "Everything You've Always Wanted to Know
About Sexual Orientation in Diversity Training But Were Afraid to Ask;"
"What's New In AIDS Education;" "Protecting Your Civil Rights;" "Case Study:
Growing the Xerox Lesbian/Gay Employee Group;" "Dealing with Closeted People
in Positions of Power;" "Gay/Lesbian Parents in the Workplace;" "Labor
Dialogue: Fighting the Far Right;" "Activism and the Professional
Career;""Screening for Gay-friendly Workplaces;" and "Gays and Lesbians are
Franchising!"

 A reception for the conference, "Work It Out!", will be held on Friday,
April 19, 6:30-8:30, at the City Club of San Francisco.  A special NGLTF
award will be presented at the reception to a leading corporation that has
demonstrated commitment and progress on gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgender employment issues.  Tickets for the reception are $30 for those
attending the conference and $50 for others.

 For registration and information about the conference, the reception and the
Human Resources Day call NGLTF at (202)332-6483, ext. 3444.  Visit the "Out
and Equal in the 90s" web page at http://www.ngltf.org/workplace.html, or
send email to [email-masked]. For additional information, contact Beth
Barrett, (202)332-6483, ext. 3215, or Ellen Schecter, (415)973-6227.

 NGLTF, founded in 1973, is the nation's oldest gay and lesbian civil rights
organization.  NGLTF is a progressive group that supports grassroots
organizing, pioneers national advocacy, and has been at the forefront of
virtually every major initiative for lesbian and gay rights.   NGLTF works to
build a stronger gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender movement.
###