Subject: New Members Named to NGLTF Board
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 17:11:18 -0500

************************************************* 
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Kerry Lobel  202.332.6483 x3307
              Robert Bray  415.552.6448
************************************************* 

NEWS MEMBERS NAMED TO NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Washington, D.C., Feb. 8, 1996...The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
(NGLTF) 
has appointed four new members to its Board of Directors.

    Named to the Board are:

*   Kathleen Saadat, of Portland, Oregon.  Saadat, a self-employed
consultant, 
trainer and speaker on diversity and other issues, has been involved in
lesbian/
gay and progressive political activism in Oregon for the past 20 years.  She
was 
on the steering committee of the No on 9 campaign to defeat the 1992 anti-gay

ballot measure, and was a highly visible spokesperson and activist on that 
campaign and on the No on 13 battle in 1994.  In 1992, she coordinated
African 
Americans Voting No on Nine, which later became African Americans for Human 
Rights.  She has also worked with the Lesbian Community Project and is
co-chair 
of the Portland Rainbow Coalition.  Saadat has received the ACLU of Oregon's 
Civil Liberties Award, two Spirit of Portlandia leadership awards for her
work 
with the Lesbian Community Project, and the Bayard Rustin Civil Rights Award 
from the Northwest Coalition Against Malicious Harassment, among other 
citations.

*   Dick Nathan, of Los Angeles and San Francisco, Calif.  Nathan has an 
extensive background in federal, state and local government service, as well
as 
management consulting on health care and other public policy issues.  For the

past 10 years he has specialized in health facility acquisitions.  Nathan was
a 
founding director of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation of Los 
Angeles, and a founding member of the New York Political Action Committee, a 
mid-70's gay and lesbian organization that educated voters and candidates on
gay 
issues.  He was a former trustee of the Jewish Hospital and Medical Center of

Brooklyn; and was co-chairman of New York City Mayor Ed Koch's Health Care 
Transition Task Force.  Nathan has been supportive of NGLTF since it was
founded 
by his friends in 1973, the late Dr. Howard Brown and Bruce Voeller, among 
others.  His articles on health care policy have appeared in the New York
Times,  
Newsday, and the New York City Almanac.

*   Kenneth Collins, of Long Beach, Calif.  Collins, a former private banker,

has been involved in numerous local and statewide gay/lesbian and HIV efforts

for several years.   Collins is the gay/lesbian political and HIV issues 
representative for the Elections Committee of the County of Orange (ECCO).
 He 
also serves on ECCO's board of directors.  An African American member of the
Log 
Cabin gay republican club, Collins is a delegate for the HIV Health Care 
Committee of the L.I.F.E. AIDS Lobby of California.  As part of the
Federation 
Leadership Training Program, Collins coordinated the internship program for
the 
Orange County Gay and Lesbian Visibility Program.  A long-time vestry member
and 
official with the Saint Luke's Episcopal Church of Long Beach, Collins also 
served on the local area council of the Boy Scouts of America as a community 
liaison.  He has received the United States of America Congressional Gold
Award, 
the Orange County Federation Gay, Lesbian and HIV Organizations "Take Pride" 
Award, and other honors.

*   Joseph Hall, of Charleston, S.C.  Hall is executive director of
Lowcountry 
AIDS Services in Charleston, and a seasoned veteran in the non-profit service

and support field.  He has served as a leader on the board of the Fund for 
Southern Communities, a progressive grant-making institution. In that
capacity 
he spearheaded an effort to establish a permanent lesbian, gay and bisexual 
program within the Fund, which resulted in the creation of Southern Outlook,
the 
South's first gay-identified funding mechanism.  He is a board member of the
OUT 
Fund of the National Funding Exchange, in New York.  As a volunteer with the 
Society for Women and AIDS in Africa, he produced the first HIV prevention
film, 
written and directed by teenage villagers, in "Krio," the common language of 
Sierra Leone.   Collins has traveled to Tanzania as a U.S. Information
Service-
sponsored speaker and workshop presenter on AIDS counseling and
organizational 
development in East Africa.

    The four new board members were seated during the January 1996 meeting of

NGLTF board of directors.  During that meeting the board approved the 1996
Task 
Force budget, which is $2.49 million.

    NGLTF is the nation's oldest gay and lesbian civil rights organization.  
 Since 1973, the Task Force has been a progressive organization that supports

grassroots organizing and pioneers national advocacy for gay, lesbian,
bisexual 
and transgender people.
###