Subject: Task Force Congratulates Mandela
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 12:05:30 -0400

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483 ext. 3303 [email-masked]
************************************
TASK FORCE OFFERS "HEARTFELT CONGRATULATIONS" TO SOUTH AFRICA AT HISTORIC
MOMENT

Washington, D.C., May 9, 1996....The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force sent
South African President Nelson Mandela its "heartfelt congratulations,"
saying that the "South African people have paved a new road of equality and
fairness by outlawing all forms of discrimination in their constitution."

 Passed yesterday, the South African Bill of Rights will protect lesbians,
gay men and bisexual people from discrimination by both the state and private
sector.  The Equality Clause bans discrimination based on race, gender, sex,
pregnancy, marital status, ethnic or social origin, color, sexual
orientation, age disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language
and birth.  

 "South Africa's leadership and vision will serve as an inspiration to gay,
lesbian, bisexual, and transgender Americans as we continue the struggle for
equality in our country,"  stated NGLTF Executive Director Melinda Paras.
"This historic action sets a precedent for similar legislation in countries
around the world," added Paras.

 The full text of the telegram follows and is attributable to Melinda Paras:

"Dear President Mandela,

"On behalf of gay and lesbian people all over the world we rejoice at the
signing of the new constitution of the Republic of South Africa.  The South
African people have paved a new road of equality and fairness by outlawing
all forms of discrimination in the constitution, including for the first time
anywhere in the world, the discrimination against people based on their
sexual orientation.

"The South African people have come to this profound understanding through
their own blood and sweat in the battle against apartheid.  And now you stand
as the world leader against discrimination and injustice against people of
color, women, and lesbians, gay men and bisexuals.

"We are so proud of your efforts and offer you and your people our heartfelt
congratulations on this historic day."

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the nation's oldest national gay and
lesbian civil rights group, is a progressive organization that has supported
grassroots organizing and pioneered in national advocacy since 1973.  Since
its inception, NGLTF has been at the forefront of virtually every major
initiative for lesbian and gay rights.  In all its efforts, NGLTF helps to
strengthen the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender movement at the state
level while connecting these activities to a national vision for change.

###