Subject: NGLTF CONDEMNS FEDERAL ANTI-MARRIAGE BILL
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 11:23:32 -0400

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact:  Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483 ext. 3303 [email-masked]
************************************

NGLTF Condemns Federal Anti-Marriage Legislation
Paras denounces manipulation of this "wedge issue"  

Washington, D.C., May 8, 1996....Introduction of federal anti-marriage
legislation today drew sharp condemnation from the National Gay and Lesbian
Task Force.  

 The legislation, H.R. 3396, sponsored by Representative Bob Barr (R - GA)
would, for the first time, create a federal definition of marriage.
 According to this federal definition, marriage would only include
heterosexual couples.  The Federal government would not recognize legally
married same-gender couples.  Currently, civil same-gender marriage is not
permitted anywhere in the United States.  This federal legislation, like the
over 30 anti-marriage measures introduced at the state level, is in
anticipation of an upcoming Hawaii court decision that could legalize
same-gender marriage in that state.   

 Representative Barr's action follows a year of action by the extremist Right
that has moved the issue of same-gender marriage to the top of its agenda.  

 Following is the statement of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
(NGLTF), the nation's oldest gay and lesbian civil rights organization.  The
statement is attributable to Melinda Paras, NGLTF executive director:

 "This bill, titled 'The Defense of Marriage Act' would result in
unprecedented legal discrimination against lesbian and gay couples and would
short-circuit the very important debate in our country about family issues.

 "The extreme Right, armed with anti-marriage legislation,  continues to
attack gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities.  While NGLTF is
not surprised by this proposed legislation by Representative Barr, we are
distressed that the Halls of Congress are being used once again to promote
the agenda of a small band of narrow-minded extremists in this country.  

 "Since the beginning of the election season it has been clear that the issue
of same-gender marriage would be used as a wedge issue  between fair-minded
Americans and those who promote hatred and intolerance in this country.   

 "It is also clear that groups such as Concerned Women of America, Focus on
the Family, and the Report have developed a very clear plan to pass model
resolutions against same-gender marriage in each state that have culminated
in this effort today.   While they would have us believe that they seek to
"preserve legalized, traditional marriage, " the truth is that they seek to
impose their own narrow agenda on every American by playing on people's real
fears and concerns about the changing American family.

 "NGLTF intends to continue our work to recognize and strengthen our families
and to move forward the dialogue about equal marriage rights for all
Americans.

 "We urge members of our community to continue their hard work to turn back
same-gender marriage bans at the state and now, the federal level.  We call
on members of Congress to turn away from this issue and to focus on the real
issues and problems that face all of us."

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is a progressive organization that
has supported grassroots organizing and pioneered in national advocacy since
1973.  Since its inception, NGLTF has been at the forefront of virtually
every major initiative for lesbian and gay rights.  In all its efforts, NGLTF
helps to strengthen the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender movement at
the state level while connecting these activities to a national vision for
change.

###