Subject: NGLTF Closes Books on 1995 State Legislative Gay Activity
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 17:21:04 -0500

************************************************* 
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Robert Bray  415.552.6448 or 
Tracey Conaty 202.332.6483 x3303
*************************************************
NGLTF Closes Books on 1995 State Legislative Gay Activity

1996 Holds Greater Challenges as Right Wing Hits the Ground Running:
33 Anti-Gay Measures Introduced in January

February 8, 1996....Today, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) 
released its final edition of Beyond the Beltway 1995: A
state-by-state-survey 
of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender-related legislation and announced 
preliminary findings of a survey of gay-related measures introduced thus far
in 
the 1996 legislative year.  Though last year was active with more than 100 
measures introduced, a barrage of recent anti-gay legislation introduced in
the 
last month indicates this year may see even more activity.

    Fighting off what NGLTF believes was a record level of hostile
legislative 
attacks by the Right in 1995, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender
(g/l/b/t) 
activists nonetheless made significant gains in advancing non-discrimination 
provisions and other pro-gay measures.  Rhode Island became the ninth state
in 
the nation to implement a statewide non-discrimination measure when it passed
a 
law banning discrimination based on sexual orientation in public and private 
employment, credit, housing, and public accommodation.  Passage of the Rhode 
Island bill was one the year's most significant highlights.  

    Low lights included defeat of a strong, gay-inclusive hate crimes bill in

Texas and defeat of an enhanced penalties bill for those convicted of hate 
crimes in Louisiana.  In addition to opposing bills that would ensure basic 
civil rights for gays and lesbians, the Radical Right took the offensive and 
introduced numerous hostile measures.  This included a Montana bill that
would 
have required gays and lesbians convicted under the state's sexual deviance
law 
to register with local law enforcement for life.  There was also the Arizona 
bill, signed by the governor, that prohibits school districts from portraying

"homosexuality as a positive alternative lifestyle."

    All told, 1995 saw 105 gay-related measures move forwarded in 35 states.
 
(An earlier version of this report released last June indicates 97 pieces of 
legislation.  The final report includes activity in late-running legislative 
sessions and previously undetected bills.)  The number of measures that would

positively impact g/l/b/t people exceeded the number of anti-gay measures.  
NGLTF tracked 64 pro-gay measures compared with 41 anti-gay ones in 1995.  

    Though there were more pro-gay than anti-gay measures in 1995, the
potential 
impact of the anti-gay measures eclipsed that of the positive measures.  This
is 
because the vast majority of the anti-gay measures were specifically targeted
at 
gay people, while many of the positive measures were not.  They simply
included 
sexual orientation in a broader list of other characteristics.  

- more -
    If January is a foreshadowing of the year to come, activists across the 
country will be on the defensive, battling hostile legislation with much of
it 
initiated by right wing extremists.  Based on reports from the field,
including 
gay lobbies and other field groups, and a search of legislative databases,
NGLTF 
has learned that 33 anti-gay measures have already been introduced, compared 
with 22 pro-gay measures.  More anti-gay measures are expected.  Like 1995,
the 
anti-gay provisions are specifically motivated by homophobia, while most of
the 
pro-gay measures, though inclusive of gays, are not specific to gays. 

    Of the current anti-gay measures, many focus on the areas of family and 
education.  This year, anti-gay marriage bills are leading the way.
 Seventeen 
states have introduced legislation banning same-gender marriage.  Though gay
and 
lesbian couples do not have the right to legally marry anywhere in the U.S.,
the 
legislation is seen as a preemptive strike against the anticipated Hawaii
court 
decision later this year that may uphold the right of same-gender couples to 
marry. 

    Other anti-gay legislation introduced in January includes a Missouri bill

that would prohibit public schools from disseminating materials that portray 
homosexuality as acceptable, and an Oklahoma bill that declares tolerance of 
homosexual behavior inconsistent with the traditional values of Oklahoma.

    "Radical Right extremists have hit the ground running in 1996 and
anti-gay 
marriage legislation is their tactic du jour," stated Robert Bray, NGLTF
Media 
Director.  "The impact of this legislation is not only to curtail or prevent 
basic rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people, but to
stir 
up anti-gay sentiment.  The myths, stereotypes, and outright lies associated 
with homophobic legislation can also cause harassment, intolerance and even 
violence," added Bray.  

    Like last year, many of the pro-gay bills introduced are hate crime
measures 
that include "sexual orientation" as well as many other characteristics.
 These 
bills, because of their inclusion of sexual orientation, are often vigorously

opposed by homophobic extremists.  Such is the case in Texas, where Joe
Isassi 
was murdered in Corpus Christi in an anti-gay attack on May 20, the same day
the 
Texas legislature voted down a tougher hate crime law.  Last month on January
4 
in Katy, Texas, a Houston suburb, Fred Mangione was stabbed 35 times by neo-
nazis out to "get a fag." A local religious extremist group joined in
opposition 
to Texas's tougher hate crime bill, claiming it would give "lighter sentences

for crimes against non-homosexuals or non-minorities" and that the law would 
"include child molesters."  This tougher hate crime bill will be introduced 
again in the 1996 session, and similar opposition is expected.

    In a recent closed-door and illegal meeting of Utah Senators, the
virulently 
anti-gay film "Gay Rights, Special Rights" was screened, a detailed
description 
of anal intercourse was offered, and a copy of "Heather Has Two Mommies" was 
passed around by "admitted" homophobic lawmakers.  And in Iowa, a rally to 
"protect marriage" will be held on February 10 and will reportedly include 
presidential candidates Keyes, Buchanan, and Gramm. Along with an already 
introduced anti-gay marriage bill,  The Report, a national radical right
group, 
will reportedly be introducing a bill preventing homosexuality from being 
discussed in a positive light at state universities, a bill that would defund

libraries that have pro-gay material, and a bill ending anonymous HIV
testing.  
The governor of Iowa also recently endorsed a fundraising letter by The
Report.

    To obtain a copy of Beyond the Beltway 1995, call NGLTF Publications 
Department at (202) 332-6483 ext. 3327 or email a request to [email-masked].
 
The cost of the report is $5.

###