Subject: Clock Ticking on Amendment 2 Decision
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:44:11 -0500

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483 [email-masked]
************************************
SUPREME COURT TO RULE
ON ANTI-GAY COLORADO AMENDMENT 2

Washington, D.C., April 2, 1996...With the clock ticking toward a U.S.
Supreme Court ruling on Colorado's controversial anti-gay Amendment 2 are
fewer and fewer, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) is gearing
up for what may be one of the most important decisions by the high court this
year.

 Court watchers say only about 14 potential announcement days remain during
the current session for the Supreme Court.   The days include April 15, 16,
17, 22, 23, 24, and 29; May 13, 20 and 28; and June 3, 10, 17, and 24.

 NGLTF will have an immediate response for the court's ruling.  Reporters may
call Kerry Lobel, NGLTF deputy director, at (202)332-6483, ext. 3307, (pager
number 1-800-SKYPAGE, p.i.n. #9200158) for a response.  In addition, the Task
Force will participate in a response action on the steps of the Supreme Court
in Washington, D.C., immediately after the announcement (contact NGLTF for
details).

 Equality Colorado, a statewide gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender political
 group can be reached for comment on the ruling at  (303) 839-1361.  Ground
Zero, a grassroots gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender organization based
in Colorado Springs will also be responding to the ruling.  Ground Zero's
number is (719) 635-6086.  

 NGLTF, in conjunction with these Colorado groups and others, has launched
the "Supreme Response: A National Day of Action" in anticipation of the
ruling.  NGLTF is calling on communities nationwide to turn out for either a
celebration or demonstration in their local communities after the court
announces its decision.  NGLTF has distributed more than 250 "Supreme
Response" Action Kits.

  Some of the communities where actions are planned are Denver and Colorado
Springs, CO; Indianapolis and Evansville, IN; San Diego, CA; Philadelphia,
PA; Madison, WI; Norfolk, VA; and New York City.  (Colorado activists will
gather the day the decision is released, and communities in the rest of the
country plan to gather the day after the announcement.)

 Last October, the Task Force helped organize similar actions around the
country to coincide with hearings on the case, Romer v. Evans.  Some 36
communities, including Las Vegas, Nevada., St. Louis, Missouri, and Salem,
Oregon held candlelight vigils, rallies and town meetings.  Amendment 2,
which has never gone into effect, would block current and future laws banning
discrimination for lesbians, gays and bisexuals.

 NGLTF is the nation's oldest organization working for equality for gays,
lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people.  It has supported grassroots
organizing and pioneered in national advocacy since 1973. 

###