Subject: NGLTF CALLS FOR SUPREME RESPONSE TO AMENDMENT 2 DECISION
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 17:17:25 -0500

************************************************* 
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Robert Bray  415.552.6448 or 
Tracey Conaty 202.332.6483 x3303
*************************************************

NGLTF CALLS FOR SUPREME RESPONSE TO AMENDMENT 2 DECISION

UNDO 2 NATIONAL CALL TO ACTION ISSUED

February 8, 1996....In anticipation of the Supreme Court's upcoming Amendment
2 
decision, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) is mobilizing local

activists across the country to participate in A Supreme Response: A National

Day of Action.  Along with Colorado-based organizations, including Equality 
Colorado and Ground Zero, NGLTF is calling on communities nationwide to turn
out 
the day after the court announces its decision on the Colorado Amendment 2
case 
Romer v. Evans and celebrate or demonstrate.   Although the exact date of the

ruling is not known at this time, NGLTF is urging activists to prepare in 
advance by obtaining a copy of the updated "Undo 2"  action kit.

    A Supreme Response is the second part of Undo 2, NGLTF's national 
mobilization effort to overturn Amendment 2, the Colorado initiative passed
by 
voters in 1992.  The measure blocks current and future laws banning 
discrimination and ensuring basic civil rights for lesbians and gays in the 
state.  Last October 9, the eve of the high court's hearing of the case, 36 
communities across the country participated in a national Undo 2 day of
action.  
Candlelight vigils, rallies, town meetings, and even a "sing out" were held 
throughout the nation.  Communities participating in the day of action
included 
Las Vegas, Nevada; St. Louis, Missouri; and Salem, Oregon.  The Undo 2 day of

action received national and local news headlines.

    "On October 9, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people across the

country served notice that Amendment 2 affects all of us, no matter where we 
live, and that we are united in our resolve to ensure that Amendment 2 is 
dismantled," stated Karen Bullock-Jordan, NGLTF Field Organizer.

    In January, NGLTF's Field Department distributed nearly 250 Undo 2:
Supreme 
Response Action Kits to activists and organizations across the country.  The 
kit, which includes background information on Amendment 2, possible decisions
by 
the Supreme Court and their legal and political implications, organizing
how-tos 
and other materials, will assist activists in organizing their communities to

participate in this national day of action.

    Colorado communities will turn out en masse at rallies across the state
the 
day the decision is rendered.  NGLTF and Colorado groups have issued a call
to 
action to communities in other states for the day after the decision in order
to 
allow time for news of the decision to spread and to maximize participation.
 
The Court will release its decision this session, though it is unknown
precisely 
when.  The Court adjourns in June and experts speculate that the decision
will 
not come before the spring.  

    Individuals interested in joining NGLTF's Undo 2 Action Network,
obtaining a 
copy of A Supreme Response Action Kit and organizing a Supreme Response event
in 
their community should contact NGLTF's Field Department at (2020 332-6483,
ext.  
3206 or 3303.

###