Subject: TASK FORCE APPLAUDS FORMER PRESIDENT CARTER
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 17:05:30 -0500

********************************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Kerry Lobel 202-332-6483 extension 3307
********************************************************
   
TASK FORCE APPLAUDS FORMER PRESIDENT CARTER

February 23, 1996, Washington, DC...The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
has commended former U.S. President Jimmy Carter for a bold commentary in
today's Los Angeles Times, saying that Carter "models the principled moral
leadership that we should expect from those holding or seeking elected
office."

 In a letter to the former President sent today, Kerry Lobel, NGLTF Deputy
Director, thanked Carter for "rejecting the politics of hate and
discrimination that have marked the early weeks of the 1996 presidential
season."

 In his commentary, Carter said "we must make it clear that a platform of 'I
hate gay men and women' is not a way to become president of the United
States."

 The full text of the letter follows, and is attributable to Kerry Lobel,
Deputy Director, NGLTF.

----------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. President:

On behalf of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and our 35,000 members,
I want to thank you for your recent commentary in the Los Angeles Times.

We applaud you for modeling the principled moral leadership that we should
expect from those holding or seeking elected office.  By rejecting the
politics of hate and discrimination that have marked the early weeks of the
presidential season, you give us hope that other leaders will speak out about
their vision for an inclusive America, one that cherishes freedom and
opportunity for all.

We commend you for recognizing that there are some who would attempt to use
old fears and prejudices to whip up homophobic, sexist and racist hatred.  As
you know, the  myths, stereotypes and lies associated with this kind of
legislation can cause harassment, intolerance, and even violence.

Sincerely,
Kerry Lobel
Deputy Director
###