Subject: NGLTF Press Release--NGLTF Applauds Passage of CAPA
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 18:40:36 -0400

******************************************
NGLTF
2320 17th ST NW
Washington DC, 20009
(202) 332-6483
(202) 332-0207 fax
(202) 332-6219 TTY
Contact:  Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483 ext 3303   pager (800) 757-6476
******************************************

NGLTF APPLAUDS PASSAGE OF CHURCH ARSON PREVENTION ACT

EXPRESSES DISMAY AT PARTIAL REAUTHORIZATION OF HCSA

Washington, D.C. -- June 26, 1996...The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
(NGLTF) applauded the passage  of the "Church Arson Prevention Act of 1996"
today in the Senate.  The measure would broaden the ability of the federal
government to seek criminal penalties in cases involving vandalism or
destruction of religious institutions.   The bill also provides for a six
year reauthorization of the Hate Crimes Statistics Act .

 The "Church Arson Prevention Act" is in response to increased crimes against
religious institutions, especially black churches in the Southeast, in the
past 18 months. According to federal officials, there have been 216 attacks
against religious institutions - black churches and white churches,
synagogues and mosques - since May 1990.  Over half of these attacks have
occurred since January 1995.   Most disturbing, 78% of all suspicious church
fires in the Southeast occurred at black churches.

 The six year reauthorization of the Hate Crime Statistics Act (HCSA) was a
compromise move by the Senate to appease House leaders.  The original Senate
version of the HCSA bill called for permanent reauthorization of the landmark
law, which the House failed to move onNGLT.  HCSA, which expired at the end
of 1995, was passed in 1990 and signed into law by President George Bush.  It
requires the Department of Justice to collect and publish annual statistics
on crimes that manifest prejudice based on race, religion, sexual orientation
and ethnic origin.  Numerous civil rights groups have been advocating for
permanent reauthorization of the act.  

 Melinda Paras, NGLTF executive director, praised the Church Arson Prevention
Act as it relates to the attacks on churches, particularly the recent slate
of burnings of Black churches, but expressed dismay at the limited
reauthorization period of the Hate Crime Statistics Act.  Paras also
denounced those responsible for the climate of "intolerance and hostility"
that fosters attacks on black churches and other forms of hate violence.

- more -

The following statement can be attributed to Ms. Paras:

The attacks on Black churches of the past 18 months are clearly acts of
cowardice, whether they are based on racial or religious prejudice.  While
the crimes themselves must be denounced, it is also important to denounce
those whose rhetoric perpetuates the climate of intolerance and hostility in
which these crimes occur.  In the past few years, Right-wing political
extremists have increased their rhetoric of divisiveness and intolerance.
 Their campaigns against affirmative action, against immigrants, against gays
and lesbians, and against single mothers create a climate that says it is
okay to be intolerant of those who are different.  While they clearly are not
encouraging destruction of churches and other religious institutions, they do
blame various groups - based on race, religion, ethnicity, gender or sexual
orientation - for all the problems in our society.  Not surprisingly, such
scapegoating leads to an increase in intolerance  - and violence.

This rhetoric only perpetuates the hostile environment which allows a few
cowardly individuals to believe it is okay to attack individuals or
institutions that reflect views or beliefs different from their own.  

The legislation adopted by the Senate today also includes a six year
reauthorization of the Hate Crimes Statistics Act.  We are very saddened that
in order to put reauthorization of HCSA on a fast track in the House, the
Senate had to retreat from its original position supporting permanent
reauthorization of the Act.  How ironic that our elected officials battle the
hate violence of church bombings while simultaneously refusing to give
permanent life to such an important anti-hate crimes measure.  While
disappointed in the Senate's retreat, we appreciate their leadership,
especially that of Senators Hatch and Simon, in trying to move forward this
much needed legislation.

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is  the oldest  national gay and
lesbian group and is a progressive organization that has supported grassroots
organizing and pioneered in national advocacy since 1973.  Since its
inception, NGLTF has been at the forefront of virtually every major
initiative for lesbian and gay rights.  In all its efforts, NGLTF helps to
strengthen the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender movement at the state
level while connecting these activities to a national vision for change.

###