Subject: NGLTF ANTI-MARRIAGE UPDATE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 16:07:24 -0400

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483 [email-masked]
************************************

NGLTF ANTI-MARRIAGE UPDATE
 
ALASKA BECOMES 8TH STATE BANNING GAY MARRIAGE

FEDERAL ANTI-MARRIAGE LEGISLATION INTRODUCED

Washington, D.C., May 9, 1996...The U.S. House of Representatives inserted
itself into the fray of the same-gender marriage debate yesterday when
Representative Bob Barr (R-GA) introduced H.R. 3396, the Defense of Marriage
Act. The bill would create a federal definition of marriage that would
exclude same-gender couples. Under the measure, states  would not have to
abide by the full faith and credit clause of the U.S. Constitution and
recognize the legal marriages of same-gender couples. 

 Same-gender marriage is not currently legal anywhere in the United States.
The more than thirty measures introduced in state legislatures across the
country this year and this U.S. House bill are in reaction to a Hawaii legal
case that is at least two years away from winding its way through the courts.
Many legal experts believe the case will ultimately provide same-gender
couples access to the legal contract of marriage in Hawaii. 

 "This is clearly a mean spirited election year ploy," stated NGLTF Executive
Director Melinda Paras. "The treatment of this Congressional measure will
give a real indication of whether Presidential Candidate Dole and the
Republican Party will embrace the extremist agenda of Pat Buchanan," added
Paras.

 Historically, the issue of marriage and the granting of marriage licenses
has been left to the states. Should Hawaii legalize same-gender marriage,
anti-gay marriage laws are likely to ensure costly legal chaos. Same-gender
couples legally married in one state, may not be legally married in other
states. When crossing state lines, legally married same-gender couples could
have their rights as a married couple, such as hospital visitation, filing
joint tax returns, access to joint insurance policies, etc., denied them,
depending on what state they are in. 

 "We resent that the Halls of Congress are being used once again to promote
the agenda of a small band of narrow-minded extremists in this country," said
Paras.

-- more --
 At the state level this week, Alaska became the eighth state to ban the
recognition of same gender marriage. Governor Tony Knowles let SB 308 pass
into law without his signature. Action on Alabama's anti-marriage was
"indefinitely postponed," effectively killing the measure for the remainder
of the Alabama legislative year, which ends May 22. 

 The eight states that ban recognition of same-gender marriage are AK, AZ,
GA, ID, KS, OK, SD, and UT. States with anti-marriage legislation still
pending are CA, DE, IL, MI, MO, NY, SC, and TN. In Seventeen states this
year, anti-marriage legislation was introduced, but has since been defeated,
withdrawn, or killed. Those states are AL, CO, FL, HI, IA, KY, ME, MD, MN,
MS, NM, RI, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY. 
  
 Activists interested in obtaining a copy of the NGLTF Marriage Map (free) or
NGLTF's marriage organizing manual, To Have and To Hold  ($10), should
contact Tracey Conaty at the number listed above. Those interested in
obtaining talking points on same-gender marriage and other materials should
contact Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund at (212) 995-8585.

 The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is a progressive organization that
has supported grassroots organizing and pioneered in national advocacy since
1973. Since its inception, NGLTF has been at the forefront of virtually every
major initiative for lesbian and gay rights. In all its efforts, NGLTF helps
to strengthen the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender movement at the
state level while connecting these activities to a national vision for
change.

###