Subject: NGLTF Marriage Update
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 18:35:00 -0500

************************************
PRESS RELEASE
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
2320 17th St. NW; Washington, DC 20009
Contact: Robert Bray (415) 552-6448 [email-masked]
or Tracey Conaty (202) 332-6483 [email-masked]
************************************
NGLTF ANTI-MARRIAGE UPDATE
 COLORADO GOVERNOR VETOES BILL
COLORADO EXTREMIST GROUP CITES NGLTF "STRATEGIES"

Washington, D.C., March 28, 1996...Gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
people of Colorado and across the nation savored an important victory this
week when Colorado Governor Roy Romer vetoed an anti-marriage measure. On
Monday, March 26, Romer vetoed legislation that would have prohibited the
recognition of legal, same-gender marriages granted in other states.  The
anti-gay extremist group Focus on the Family cited the National Gay and
Lesbian Task Force's (NGLTF) marriage organizing efforts in relation to
Romer's veto.  The Colorado-based, national group, in its March Family Issues
Alert encourages readers to "find out how the NGLTF is strategizing to defeat
bans on same-sex marriage in your state" by accessing NGLTF's web site.  They
then include the Task Force's web site address (www:http://www.ngltf.org).  

 NGLTF, working in partnership with Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund's
Marriage Project and other members of the National Freedom to Marry Coalition
(NFTMC), is assisting local activists throughout the country in fighting off
these anti-gay attacks.  Melinda Paras, NGLTF executive director, in a letter
to Romer, applauded his "courage and leadership in standing up to the
religious extremists, who have coordinated a campaign against gay and lesbian
families in over 25 states."  NGLTF, in conjunction with Colorado activists
and NFTMC, urges people of conscience, both within and outside Colorado, to
contact Colorado Governor Roy Romer and thank him for his leadership.  Romer
can be reached by phone at (303) 866-2471 or fax at (303) 866-2003.

 Currently, same-gender marriage is not legal anywhere in the United States.
 The Colorado bill, and measures like it, have been introduced throughout the
country this year by radical right legislators.  Right wing groups, in
anticipation of the possible legalization of same-gender marriage in Hawaii
sometime next year, have launched an all out assault on the right to marry.

 According to NGLTF, with information provided by Lambda Legal Defense and
Education Fund, 16 states currently face legislation intended to ban
same-gender marriage.  Those states are AL, AK, AZ, CA,  FL, GA, HI, IL, KS,
KY,  MI, MO, OK, SC, TN, and WI.   Arizona and Kansas were added to last
week's list, and along with Colorado, anti-marriage legislation was stopped
last week in Iowa.  This brings the total number of states with anti-marriage
legislation withdrawn or defeated to 11.  Along with CO and IA, they are MD,
ME, MS, NM, RI, VA, WA, WV, and WY.  Three states have passed laws explicitly
outlawing recognition of same-gender marriage (Idaho, South Dakota, and
Utah).
 
 Activists interested in obtaining a copy of the map (free) or NGLTF's
marriage organizing manual, To Have and To Hold  ($10), should contact Tracey
Conaty or Robert Bray at the numbers listed above.  Those interested in
obtaining talking points on same-gender marriage and other materials should
contact Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund at (212) 995-8585.

 The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is a progressive organization that
has supported grassroots organizing and pioneered in national advocacy since
1973.  Since its inception, NGLTF has been at the forefront of virtually
every major initiative for lesbian and gay rights.  In all its efforts, NGLTF
helps to strengthen the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender movement at
the state level while connecting these activities to a national vision for
change.
###