Subject: To Die For: NGLTF Benefit
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 10:32:04 -0400

NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE
MEDIA ADVISORY

Contact: Robin Kane, 202-332-6483, ext. 3311; [email-masked]

THE BUZZ OF CANNES COMES TO NEW YORK 

Premier of Gus Van Sant's To Die For To Benefit NGLTF

Washington, DC -- September 7, 1995  -- The New York City premier of Gus Van
Sant's new movie, To Die For, will benefit the National Gay and Lesbian Task
Force (NGLTF) -- a progressive organization that has supported grassroots
organizing and national advocacy since 1973.  The dinner, movie premier,
party and dance will all be held on Tuesday, September 26.

THE MOVIE
 To Die For is a black comedy that paints a hip portrait of America as seen
through the eyes of a woman whose warped view of reality and naive ambition
to become a TV personality land her in very cold water.  Directed by Gus Van
Sant (My Own Private Idaho, Drugstore Cowboy), produced by Laura Ziskind
(Pretty Woman, No way Out), and written by Buck Henry (Catch 22, The
Graduate), the film stars Nicole Kidman, Matt Dillon, and Joaquin Phoenix.  

 The film was the "buzz" of the Cannes Film Festival this year.  In the Los
Angeles Times, Kenneth Turan called To Die For "a wicked and witty black
comedy...'"  Janet Maslin in the New York Times called To Die For a "sharp
and gleeful satire."  "A big French kiss for Van Sant and his movie To Die
For," said the New York Post.

THE EVENTS
Tuesday, September 26

 6 pm:  Cocktails with Gus Van Sant, Flamingo East, 219 Second Avenue 

 7 pm:  Dinner with Gus Van Sant, performance by Joey Arias, Flamingo East 

 9 pm:  Screening of To Die For, 
   Sony Village Cinema, 3rd Avenue at 11th Street

 10:30 pm: Party and Dancing, hosted by Julie Tolentino and Chip Duckett
   L'Udo, 432 Lafayette Street

 The benefit is co-chaired by NGLTF Board Member Catherine Saalfield and
Gordon VeneKlasen, with a host committee featuring cultural and political
luminaries such as Jenny Shimizu, Isaac Mizrahi, Deborah Glick, Nona Hendryx,
Brice Marden, Katherine Acey, Parker Posey, Felix Gonzalez-Torres, Todd
Haynes, Ingrid Sischy, Alexander Gray, Urvashi Vaid, Todd Oldham, Ross
Bleckner, Bruce Roberts, Linda Villarosa, Rose Troche and Guinevere Turner.
 Flamingo East, L'Udo, Sony, Campari and Stolichnaya are sponsors of the
events.

TICKETS Available at A Different Light Bookstore, or by calling NGLTF, (202)
332-6483 ext. 3306