Subject: NGLTF ACTION ALERT: Stop the New "Contract"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 14:23:49 -0400

**************************************************
   National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

     ACTION ALERT ! ACTION ALERT ! ACTION ALERT !

(202) 332-6483
2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009

**************************************************

STOP THE CONTRACT WITH THE AMERICAN FAMILY

Washington, DC -- May 19, 1995  -- The Christian Coalition's executive
director, Ralph Reed, unveiled his group's "Contract With the American
Family" in a Capitol Hill ceremony Wednesday.  Calling the "Contract" a
"blueprint" for repairing the American family and "social fabric" of the
country, Reed said he hopes Congress will adopt policies reflecting his 10
point agenda.  The "Contract" calls for prayer in school and the curtailing
of a woman's access to abortion services among other items billed as
"family-friendly".    Reed pledged $2 million dollars to push his politics of
divisiveness.

House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Sen. Phil Gramm were among the congressional
leadership on hand to support the "Contract".    Recognizing the Christian
Coalition's $1 million support of the Republican party's "Contract With the
American Family,"  Gingrich pledged his support to each of the new
"Contract's" ten points.

"We are committed to keeping our faith with the people who helped with the
'Contract With America,' " Gingrich said.

In fact, the new "Contract" is nothing but a repackaging of the Christian
Coalition's conservative, anti-choice, and anti-gay political agenda.  The
"centerpiece" of America's newest "Contract" is a proposed constitutional
amendment which would allow prayer in school.  Other points covered include
dismantling of the Department of Education, vouchers for private school
attendance, protecting "parental rights," "support of private charities,"
"restoring respect for human life," "family friendly tax policy," "punish
criminals not victims," censorship on the Internet and cable television,  and
defunding of federal cultural agencies.

The Christian Coalition continues to use a campaign of misinformation and
anti-gay rhetoric in its messages and direct fundraising appeals.  While the
new "Contract" fails to give specifics and is careful to avoid explicitly
anti-gay language,  a number of points are traditional and likely stomping
grounds for anti-gay rhetoric and misinformation.  Included among them are
the abolishment of agencies such as the Department of Education, National
Endowment for the Arts and Humanities, and Corporation for Public
Broadcasting and a loosely defined push to increase "parental rights"
  Activists are preparing for attacks on  gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgender youth and on freedom of expression.

Demand a Congress Respectful of ALL Families!

The "Contract With the American Family" is a campaign to exploit fear and
homophobia that must not be advanced on Capitol Hill.

Action:

x  Call or write your US Representatives and Senators, to let them know that
you elected them to listen to your voice not the voice of a $2 million
campaign led by the Radical Right.

Call the US Capitol Switchboard:  (202) 224-3121 or Write:
The Honorable ____________, US House of Representatives,               
       Washington, DC  20515
The Honorable ____________, US Senate, Washington, DC 20510

x  Voice your opposition to the Religious Right's agenda in your local
community. Be an advocate for all families, including gay and lesbian
families.  Write a letter to your local paper exposing the "Contract With the
American Family" for what it is:  a political pay-off and a repackaging of
the right wing social agenda.  Be a voice for redefining the "American
Family" to truly include all American families.

x  Read it for yourself.  For the full text of the "Contract With American
Family"  call 1-800-325-4746.  Also available on the Internet at
http://www.cc.org