Subject: NGLTF ACTION ALERT: Slur in the House
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 17:23:16 -0400

*************************************************
   National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

     ACTION ALERT ! ACTION ALERT ! ACTION ALERT !

(202) 332-6483 X3215
2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009

*************************************************ANOTHER SLUR IN THE HOUSE!

Action Needed!

(Washington, DC - May 11, 1995)  Just moments ago, during debate on the Clean
Water Act, Rep. Randy Cunningham (R-CA, 51st district) made a slur against
gay men and lesbians.  Cunningham referred to "homos in the military."  He
was immediately questioned by Rep. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) who asked if he was
referring to the "thousands of lesbians and gay men who have risked their
lives for this country."

Minutes later Rep. Barney Frank (D-4th-MA), Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-4th OR),
and Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-8th-NY) took the floor to denounce the anti-gay
slur.  Rep. Frank was recently referred to as Barney "Fag" by Rep. Dick Armey
(R-26th-TX) In response, Cunningham eventually ceded that he shouldn't have
used "short hand" when referring the policy on gays and lesbians in the
military.

CUNNINGHAM STILL DOESN'T GET IT! 
"HOMOS" IS NOT "SHORT HAND" - "HOMOS" IS A SLUR!

Call Rep. Cunningham at 202-225-5452 in Washington, DC or 619-737-8438 in
Escondido, CA or write:  Rep. Cunningham, US House of Representatives,
Washington, DC  20515.

Let him know that hate speech is beneath the dignity of the House floor.

Also, thank the four representatives who spoke out against slander.

Call Rep. Sanders:  (202) 225-4115
       Rep. Frank:      (202) 225-5931
       Rep. Nadler:     (202) 225-5601
       Rep. DeFazio:   (202) 225-6416