Subject: Senate passes Ryan White
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 18:50:13 -0400

NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE
PRESS RELEASE

Contact: Robin Kane 202-332-6483, ext. 3311; [email-masked]

RYAN WHITE CARE ACT PASSES SENATE IN 97 TO 3 VOTE

Helms Fills Debate with Anti-Gay Rhetoric

Washington, DC -- July 27, 1995 -- The Senate today passed the Ryan White
CARE Act (S. 641) in a 97 to 3 vote.  The CARE Act provides medical treatment
and support services to thousands of people with HIV and AIDS.  Only Senators
Jesse Helms (R-NC), Bob Smith (R-NH) and Jon Kyl (R-AZ) opposed the
re-authorization measure.  Sen. Helms, a longtime foe of civil rights for gay
and lesbian people, used extensive floor time to attack gay people. 

 Helms introduced five amendments intended to limit funding and access to the
Ryan White CARE Act.  One damaging amendment would prohibit use of federal
funds "to promote or encourage, directly or indirectly, homosexuality...or
intravenous drug use," with the terms "promote or encourage" defined as
including "but is not limited to, affirming homosexuality as natural, normal,
or healthy or, in the process of addressing related 'at-risk' issues,
affirming in any way that engaging in a homosexual act is desirable,
acceptable or permissible, or describing in any way techniques of homosexual
sex."  With such broad language, this measure would bar all accurate
discussions of HIV transmission and could severely hamper the delivery of
medical services to communities affected by AIDS.  While that measure did
pass in a 54 to 45 vote, an alternative amendment with far less sweeping
language passed by a greater margin, 76 to 23.  That amendment, offered by
Sen. Nancy Kassebaum (R-KS), states that no funds shall be used "to promote
or encourage, directly, intravenous drug use or sexual activity, whether
homosexual or heterosexual."  Any differences between alternative amendments
are worked out later in conference committee.

 "The greater support for Kassebaum's amendment is a sign that sound public
health policy will not be held hostage to Senator Helms' prejudices," said
Kerry Lobel, Deputy Director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
(NGLTF).

  Other Helms amendments included a requirement for a state process to notify
the spouse of people with HIV/AIDS (passed, 98 to 0); a cap on funding at
1995 levels for the next five years, despite the growing number of people
with AIDS (failed, 33 to 66); a requirement that federal workplace trainings
about AIDS be optional rather than mandatory (passed, 99 to 0); and a cap on
funding related to funding for cancer, without taking into account various
sources of funds (failed, 15 to 84).  An alternative to the latter amendment
was offered by Sen. Kassebaum to ensure that Congress consider all funding
sources when considering spending for AIDS and cancer.  That measure passed
in a voice vote.

 Recently, Helms was quoted as saying that he wanted to reduce federal money
spent on AIDS because it is "deliberate, disgusting, revolting conduct" that
causes the disease.  In Senate floor debate, Helms said "I don't hate
homosexuals.  I don't even know any homosexuals."  Helms went on to repeat
misinformation about condom safety, federal funding in treating various
diseases, AIDS transmission and other issues. 

 "After all these years of anti-gay diatribes on the Senate floor, Helms
acknowledged that he has no real life contact with gay people," Lobel said.
 "Helms should not create policies based on myths and stereotypes, and should
cease his abuse of the Senate's time.  His Senate colleagues should send him
a clear message that they will not tolerate these endless attacks."

 The Ryan White CARE Re-authorization Act has unanimously passed the House
Commerce committee and is awaiting consideration on the House floor.  No date
is yet scheduled for a House vote.  Following a House vote, any differences
between the two bills or between amendments will be reconciled in conference
committee.

--end--

[Editor's note: Constituents should contact their Representative to urge
passage of the Ryan White CARE Re-authorization Act (H.R. 1872) without
amendments.  Contact the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 to speak with
your Representative.]