Subject: NGLTF Says Goodbye to Studds
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 22:04:43 -0500

*************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
PRESS STATEMENT

Contact:          Beth Barrett       (202) 332-6483 ext. 3215
                      [email-masked]   

2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009
*************************************************

NGLTF BIDS ADIUI TO FIRST "OUT" CONGRESSMAN GERRY STUDDS

Washington, DC -- October 30, 1995 -- Rep. Gerry Studds (D-10th-MA) announced
this weekend that he will not run for re-election in 1996.  The 12 term
Congressman was a leader on the House floor particularly in the areas of
environmental protection and civil rights.  Studds was also the first openly
gay man to serve in Congress.  The following statement is attributable to
Helen Gonzales, Director of Public Policy, National Gay and Lesbian Task
Force.
_____

On behalf of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, I am saddened to learn
that Congressman Gerry Studds, a friend and longtime civil rights supporter,
will be leaving the Congress next year.  Gerry Studds was the first Member of
Congress to "come out" as a gay man.  His courage in taking that public step
was in itself a milestone for our community, especially since he was
reelected to Congress after his announcement.  

Representative Studds has worked to overturn the ban against gays and
lesbians serving in the military since the late 1980s, both by helping
individual service members and leading the fight against this unjust and
irrational policy.  He has been outspoken in the fight against AIDS, by
prodding federal government agencies to action, especially from his position,
until this year, on the Health and Environment Subcommittee of the House
Energy and Commerce Committee.  Similarly, together with Representative
Barney Frank, he has led the effort to gather congressional support for the
Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would ban sexual orientation
discrimination in the workplace.

As is clear from his record, Gerry Studds' leadership will be missed on a
number of fronts but for issues of importance to the lesbian, gay, bisexual
and transgender communities his presence will be more than sorely missed.
 While there remain a number of other allies for our communities, with Barney
Frank heading that list, losing Gerry Studds' voice and leadership in the
battles ahead will have a major impact for our community.