Subject: NGLTF on Latest Genetic Study
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 08:54:56 -0500

*************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
PRESS STATEMENT

Contact:          Beth Barrett       (202) 332-6483 ext. 3215
                      [email-masked]   

2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009
*************************************************

NGLTF STATEMENT ON HAMER GENETIC STUDY

Task Force Applauds Research But Highlights Potential
For Unethical Use

Washington, DC  -- October 31, 1995 --  Biology may influence sexual
orientation according to a new study released today.  The study, based on DNA
analysis of gay brothers, contributes to a growing pool of research that
suggests some biological link between genetics and sexual orientation.  The
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) welcomes studies into the
complexities of human sexuality.  Regardless of the scientific origins of
homosexuality, however, NGLTF calls for an end to discrimination based on
sexual orientation.

Dean Hamer, a molecular biologist with the National Cancer Institute, reports
that the study found a hereditary predisposition to homosexuality in some
men.  Hamer suggested that the genetic material in one segment of the X
chromosome may increase the probability of homosexuality in some men.

"The Hamer study is an important addition to the growing body of evidence
indicating a biological basis for homosexuality in some people," said Beth
Barrett, NGLTF spokesperson.  "And it shows that homosexuality is a naturally
occurring and common variation among humans -- a fact that gay, lesbian and
bisexual people have known all along."

"Regardless of the origins of homosexuality, however, discrimination based on
sexual orientation is always wrong and must end," Barrett said. "This is
especially true to avoid potential genetic engineering if science should ever
discover a gene responsible for homosexuality." 

"Studies of human sexuality are not conducted in political and social
vacuums," Barrett noted, "The results must therefore be used in the most
ethical ways and precautions must be taken to ensure that the studies are not
used against any  individuals or groups." 

In the past, Right Wing organizations have claimed that homosexuality is not
genetically based and some groups therefore encouraged "reparative therapy"
to "cure" gay people of their "abnormal behavior." However, upon release of
the LeVay brain study four years ago, Rev. Lou Sheldon, an anti-gay activist
with the Traditional Values Coalition, insinuated that if homosexuality were
proven to be biologically based, he believed medicine and science should seek
to genetically alter lesbian, gay and bisexual people.

"We know that the Right Wing will use any research results against lesbian,
gay and bisexual civil rights, because theirs is not a movement based on
seeking the truth but on perpetuating bigotry," Barrett said. "Our movement,
on the other hand, wants to end discrimination against gay, lesbian and
bisexual people, regardless of how or why sexual orientations vary."  

-end-

For further information about the scientific and ethical questions
surrounding biological research, contact the National Organization of Gay and
Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals, (818) 791-7689.