Subject: NGLTF Statement on Des Moines Curriculum Announcement
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 12:18:33 -0500

*************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
NEWS RELEASE

Contact:           Robert Bray          (415) 552-6448

                        Robin Kane          (202) 332-6483 ext. 3311
                                                   (800) 757-7736 pager

2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009
*************************************************

STATEMENT FROM THE NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN 
TASK FORCE ON THE DES MOINES SCHOOL BOARD 
CURRICULUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Washington, DC, January 25, 1995...At a meeting of the Des Moines school
board last night, Board Superintendent Gary Wegenke announced that the board
would not immediately implement changes in the school curriculum as proposed
by the Sexual Orientation Advisory Committee.  The announcement followed
weeks of controversy in Des Moines regarding the inclusion of homosexuality
in the school curriculum. The following statement is attributable to Robert
Bray, field organizer with the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, who has
been assisting advocates supporting the Des Moines curriculum changes.  

 The debate over the multicultural curriculum proposal has elevated
visibility of gays and lesbians and our issues to an unprecedented level in
Des Moines.  This visibility has galvanized lesbian and gay people and our
families and friends to come out, to speak up, to challenge discrimination.
 It has changed Iowa forever by cracking open the closet door and bringing
into the light the real discrimination and fear gays and lesbians face every
day.  It has reaffirmed our perseverance for securing justice in the Midwest
and around the nation.
 
 We are disappointed in the School Board's decision not to implement the
policy immediately.  Children are learning every day about the world and
about themselves.  There is not a day to waste in teaching them about
tolerance and respect for diversity.  If the schools remain silent, then
ignorance is perpetuated.

 We commend those public officials who have bravely come forward to defend
basic principles of fairness, dignity and respect.  We especially commend
School Board member Jonathan Wilson for his bravery in publicly coming out at
last night's meeting  He is now the highest ranking openly gay public
official in Iowa.  He and other openly gay public officials have exposed the
lies and distortions about what hate mongers such as Bill Horn and radio
"shock-jock" Jan Mickelson spew about gay people.

 We will continue to work with the gay and lesbian community of Des Moines to
challenge the forces of intolerance and organize for their freedom.  We
believe this debate will continue.  The gay and lesbian community will grow
stronger.  The statement by the Des Moines Public Schools is not the end of
this battle, only another step in our struggle for equality and fairness.

--end--