Subject: NGLTF Presses White House on Civil Rights, AIDS
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 16:41:28 -0400

NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE
Press Release

Contact: Robin Kane, 202-332-6483, ext. 3311; [email-masked]
Beth Barrett, 202-332-6843, ext. 3215; [email-masked]

 NGLTF PRESSES WHITE HOUSE ON CIVIL RIGHTS, AIDS ISSUES

Response to Security Guards' Use of Rubber Gloves, White House AIDS Panel 

Washington, DC -- June 15, 1995 -- Melinda Paras, executive director of the
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF), this week met with White House
policy makers to advocate decisive actions in support of gay, lesbian and
bisexual citizens and sound AIDS policies.   Paras pressed these issues in a
White House meeting on Monday, June 12 and a gathering held Tuesday, June 13
to honor gay/lesbian/bisexual elected officials. 

 White House officials participating in Monday's meeting included Marsha
Scott; the newly appointed White House liaison to the gay/lesbian community,
George Stephanopolous, senior adviser to the President; Douglas Sosnick,
Assistant to the President for Political Affairs; and Alexis Herman, Director
of Public Liaison.   During the meeting, attended by representatives of
several other gay/lesbian organizations, Paras pressed two major issues with
White House policy makers: principle and politics.

 "On principle, this Administration should have filed a friend of the court
brief in the Supreme Court review of Colorado's Amendment Two," Paras said.
 "President Clinton stated his opposition to Amendment Two-style ballot
measures last year, and we seek leadership from him to act on principle.  We
want visible support and substantive action on key issues of discrimination
against gay, lesbian and bisexual people and AIDS funding."

 "Additionally, there is an important political statement that must be
communicated to President Clinton and any elected official -- voters who do
not feel motivated, do not vote," Paras said.  "The November 1994 elections
should remind the Democratic party that voters who don't strongly support any
candidate will often choose home over the ballot box."

 "We need to take every opportunity to speak clearly to White House policy
makers," Paras said.  "We need to outline actions that President Clinton can
take to support gay, lesbian, bisexual civil rights and sound AIDS policies
in the coming months.  We hope to continue this dialogue and make clear
requests for presidential leadership."

 On Tuesday, gay, lesbian and bisexual elected officials from around the
country participated in a meeting with senior White House officials in a
previously scheduled meeting.  When the officials arrived at the Old
Executive Office, Secret Service security guards donned blue rubber gloves to
search their belongings.  Security guards at the White House do not routinely
wear gloves.  Gay elected officials expressed their outrage at the glove
incident during the course of the Tuesday meeting.  At the afternoon
gathering in honor of the officials, Paras urged Marsha Scott to take swift
action.  Specifically, Paras asked for an apology, acknowledgment that the
gloves implied inaccurate information about HIV transmission, and training
sessions for White House security regarding HIV transmission and
gay/lesbian/bisexual issues.

 According to reports in today's Washington Post, Secret Service Director
Eljay Bowron acknowledged that "it is not the policy of the Secret Service to
wear gloves merely based on known sexual preference" and he said he would
"hold a special training session directed specifically at these matters."
White House spokesperson Michael McCurry said, "It's safe to say that the
chief of staff and others were distressed by that and believe it to be an
error of judgment." NGLTF will follow-up with White House officials to ensure
that such a training does take place.

 Meanwhile, the White House announced the appointment of a presidential AIDS
panel to advise Patricia Fleming, director of the National AIDS Policy
Office.

 "We support any step the President takes to address AIDS, and the AIDS panel
is one small step," Paras said.  "More importantly, we seek the President's
public support and advocacy on behalf of full funding for AIDS programs.
 This week's incident involving the Secret Service wearing gloves is a clear
example that much more extensive public education about HIV transmission is
needed immediately." 

--end--