Subject: NGLTF PRESS: Pioneer Lesbians Pressure White House
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 14:11:13 -0400

NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE
PRESS RELEASE

Contact: Robin Kane, (202) 332-6483, ext. 3311; [email-masked]
               Beth Barrett (202) 332-6483, ext. 3215; [email-masked]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 1, 1995

PIONEER LESBIAN ACTIVISTS TO ADVANCE RESOLUTION DURING WHITE HOUSE CONFERENCE
ON AGING

WHAT: Two lesbian delegates at this week's White House Conference on Aging
will advance a resolution detailing issues of special concern to older
lesbian and gay Americans.
  Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon will submit the resolution in response to the
final conference agenda, published in the Federal Register on February 2,
1995, which excluded lesbian and gay concerns from explicit consideration.
 The original conference agenda, published in the Federal Register on October
12, 1994, included gay men and lesbians in a list of special constituencies
to be addressed during the conference. 
  The Martin and Lyon resolution would ensure gay and lesbian visibility and
sensitivity in future conference events and make several policy
recommendations.  The White House Conference on Aging is tasked with shaping
guidelines for national policy on aging and the elderly.  It is the fourth
such conference since 1961.

WHO: Conference delegates Del Martin, 74, and Phyllis Lyon, 70,  in 1955
co-founded the first lesbian rights organization, Daughters of Bilitis.
 Martin and Lyon have been partners for 42 years and have dedicated their
adult lives to lesbian and gay activism.  The pioneer activists have also
co-authored several books including, Lesbian/Woman. 
  The 2,258 delegates in attendance were selected by governors, members of
Congress, aging organizations, the White House and other Administration
agencies.  Martin was appointed to the conference by Sen. Dianne Feinstein
(D-CA).  Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) appointed Lyon.

WHEN: The conference will be held Tuesday, May 2, 1995 - 6:00 p.m. - Friday,
May 5, 1995 - 12:00 p.m.  
 Martin and Lyon will first attempt to enter their resolution during a
"Speakout" forum scheduled for Tuesday, May 2 , 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

WHERE: Washington Hilton Hotel & Towers, 1919 Connecticut Ave, NW,
Washington, D.C.

NOTE: For further information, contact Del Martin or Phyllis Lyon at the
Washington Hilton (202) 483-3000.  For background material and further
information, contact,  Beth Barrett, NGLTF Public Policy Associate at (202)
332-6483, ext. 3215.

--end--