Subject: NGLTF on Wilson/Des Moines Race
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 16:59:49 -0400

NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE
PRESS RELEASE

Contact: Robert Bray at 415-552-6443; [email-masked] or Scot Nakagawa,
202-332-6483, ext. 3301; [email-masked]

STATEMENT ON DES MOINES SCHOOL BOARD RACE

Washington, DC -- September 14, 1995  -- On Tuesday, September 12, Jonathan
Wilson was defeated in his bid for re-election to the Des Moines School
Board.  Wilson, who is openly gay, was the target of a massive Radical Right
campaign to unseat him following Wilson's coming out earlier this year.
 Wilson announced his homosexuality during a heated battle over a school
board policy about the teaching of diversity.

 The results of the elections were dramatic.  The top two vote-getters, Jane
Hein and Harold Sandahl, were candidates endorsed by the Christian Coalition
and supported by Bill Horn.  Horn, formerly of Southern California and
producer of "The Gay Agenda," the notorious anti-gay propaganda video,
recently moved to Des Moines and has become a leading Radical Right operative
in the state.  Horn helped spearhead a massive voter drive designed to defeat
Wilson, primarily through churches and literature drops.  At the center of
their rhetorical attack strategy against Wilson was their portrayal of Wilson
as a "homosexual activist" who wanted to teach children homosexuality in the
public schools.

 The voter turnout for the race was record breaking.  Some 30,000 voters
turned out, compared to the usual 7,000-8000.  About 15,000 votes went to
Hein and another 13,000 to Sandahl.  This quadrupled normal voter turnout for
a school board election and almost doubled the all-time high turnout set
years ago.  Following is a statement from the National Gay and Lesbian Task
Force (NGLTF), attributable to Robert Bray, NGLTF field organizer.

***

 The dramatic victory of the Radical Right in Iowa must serve as a wake-up
call to all Americans of conscience who support an education system free of
intolerance and bigotry.  It is another scary reminder of the power of the
Radical Right to marshal its electoral forces to defeat diversity and a
quality education system free of prejudice.   It also shows to what extremes
the Right will go to capitalize on fears and untruths about gays and lesbians
to affect local politics.  We believe the dramatic voter turnout was fostered
by a campaign designed to frighten and confuse voters using stereotypes about
gay people.

 The elections do not bode well for the Iowa Presidential Caucus.  We believe
 this race was just one step to agitate locally in Iowa and set the stage for
a full Radical Right campaign to dominate the Iowa Primary.  Indeed,
Republican presidential hopeful Phil Gramm, realizing the strategic benefit
of this local electoral force, endorsed the right wing campaign and mailed
appeals to Iowans to get out and vote.

 Although unsuccessful in his re-election bid, Jonathan Wilson set an
inspiring example of the bravery and fearlessness of gay and lesbian citizens
who come out as gay public servants.  His loss does not mean that elected
officials or gay activists must return to the closet.  Indeed, a record
number of openly gay and lesbian public officials now sit in office around
the country, from the US Congress to state legislatures to school boards and
city governments. 
--more--
Page 2
Des Moines School Board Race

 The school room is the next battleground in our struggle.  If we can educate
students about the truth of who we are and reveal as lies the stereotypes
about us, we can educate a future generation of Americans that discrimination
and violence against gays is wrong.  The Radical Right understands this and
has targeted schools themselves.  We must continue to come out and challenge
the untruths and stereotypes perpetrated by the Radical Right and its
politicians.   We must be ever more vigilant in our electoral and grassroots
organizing.  It is then that more gay and lesbian elected officials will take
their rightful places at the table of public debate and governance in this
society.

###