From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 12:47:09 -0500

*************************************************
NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE
Press Release

from the 8th Annual Creating Change in Detroit, Michigan
Contact:  Beth Barrett, Robert Bray or Kerry Lobel
               (313) 568-2603 [email-masked]
*************************************************

CORRECTION * CORRECTION * CORRECTION * CORRECTION

NORTHAMPTON DEFEAT
Voters Support "Bald Attack" by the Right

Due to a communication difficulty, a previous press release distributed by
NGLTF was incorrect.  This is the corrected statement.

Detroit, MI -- November 8, 1995 -- Yesterday, voters approved an attempt to
repeal a domestic partnership ordinance in Northampton, Massachusetts.  With
a final vote tally of 4770 to 4683, voters very narrowly supported an attempt
by the Radical Right to repeal the ordinance, which provided limited symbolic
recognition of non-married couples including gay and lesbian couples who can
not legally marry.

Sue Hyde, National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Field Organizer, called the
vote a "bald attack by the Radical Right," noting that the ordinance,
recently passed by the town's city council, was limited in scope.  "The Right
will attack even our right to exist symbolically and the right of society to
recognize the needs of our families."