Subject: Dee Mosbacher joins NGLTF Board
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 19:24:40 -0500

NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE

NEWS RELEASE

Contact: Robin Kane, 202-332-6483, ext. 3311; [email-masked]

NGLTF ANNOUNCES FOUR NEW BOARD MEMBERS

Dee Mosbacher, Graciela Sanchez, Don Davis and Nancy Koch Join Board 

Washington, DC  --  February 1, 1995 -- Four new members have been appointed
to the Board of Directors of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF).
 Dee Mosbacher, Graciela Sanchez, Don Davis and Nancy Koch were announced as
new members during the NGLTF board meeting January 27 through 29 in Atlanta,
Georgia.  The 26-member Board of Directors is the policy-making and
fundraising body of the 21-year-old NGLTF.  The following is a brief
biography of each of the new board members:

 DEE MOSBACHER 

 Mosbacher is a physician who is outgoing Medical Director of the Mental
Health Department of San Mateo County in California and founder and President
of Woman Vision Video, a non-profit educational video company.  She is a
long-time activist in the San Francisco Bay Area and has served on the boards
of various organizations, including Lyon Martin Women's Health Services (past
board president), American Medical Students Association, Pitzer College and
American Association of Physicians for Human Rights (now called the Gay and
Lesbian Medical Association).  Mosbacher is leaving her position as medical
director to devote herself full-time to producing and directing videos about
homophobia.  Last year, Mosbacher co-produced the 24-minute video "Straight
from the Heart" to confront the lies and distortions of the "Agenda" videos
churned out by the Far Right.  She has also produced "Out For a Change:
Addressing Homophobia in Women's Sports" and "Closets Are Health Hazards: Gay
and Lesbian Physicians Come Out."

 Mosbacher is the daughter of Robert Mosbacher, former Secretary of Commerce
during the Bush administration and chief fundraiser for President George
Bush's 1992 re-election campaign.  The senior Mosbacher was the focus of a
right-wing attack in February 1992 after he met with NGLTF staff regarding
gay and lesbian civil rights issues and how those issues related to the
presidential campaign. Radical Right activists denounced the meeting and
persuaded Bush to distance himself from it.  Although an activist all her
adult life, Dee Mosbacher strengthened her commitment to fight the Radical
Right after this incident and the ensuing gay-bashing rhetoric of the 1992
Republican National Convention.

 GRACIELA SANCHEZ

 Graciela Sanchez has served as the director of the Esperanza Peace and
Justice Center in San Antonio, Texas since 1988 and was its co-founder in
1986.  Sanchez is currently directing the Center's first capital campaign
drive to buy, renovate and equip the Center's permanent space. Sanchez is
also the co-founder of the San Antonio Lesbian & Gay Media Project;  a
founding board member of the San Antonio Lesbian & Gay Assembly; and a member
of ELLAS, a latina lesbian organization.  

 Sanchez has extensive experience in queer art and culture events. She has
served as programmer for the First Lesbian Film Festival in San Antonio in
conjunction with the Texas Lesbian Conference, a consultant with Testing the
Limits video organization, curator of Out at the Movies events in San Antonio
and a juror of the Third Wave International Women's Film and Video Festival.
 Sanchez also served as a member of the peer panels of the San Antonio
Department of Arts and Cultural Affairs and the Texas Commission on the Arts.

 DON DAVIS

 Don Davis has been a grassroots activist in North Carolina and Virginia for
the past 15 years.  During that time, he has served on more than 20 boards,
ranging from a handicapped children's home to areawide family planning
advisory councils.  Having never lived in a community of more than 50,000
residents, Davis' experience lies almost exclusively in grassroots organizing
and creating change in small communities.  Currently, Davis lives in
Williamsburg, Virginia and serves on the board of directors of Our Own
Community Press (the Virginia statewide lesbian/gay/bisexual newspaper), the
Peninsula AIDS Foundation, and the alumni board of the Historic Triangle
Leadership Institute.  For the past six years, he has served as the Chief of
Comprehensive Planning for James City County, Virginia and remains the only
openly gay member of the county's staff.

 NANCY KOCH

 Nancy J. Koch is a partner in the San Francisco law firm of Farella, Braun &
Martel.  She is a member of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual Advisory
Committee to the San Francisco Human Rights Commission and a volunteer
attorney with the AIDS Legal Referral Panel. Koch also serves on the Board of
Directors of the Bay Area Non-Partisan Alliance, the largest gay and lesbian
political action committee in Northern California.  

--end--