Subject: NGLTF Releases Marriage Organizing Manual
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 16:12:10 -0400

*************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
NEWS RELEASE

Contact:          Beth Barrett       (202) 332-6483 ext. 3215
                      [email-masked]   

2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009
*************************************************

NGLTF RELEASES MARRIAGE ORGANIZING MANUAL

Group to Assist Activists Working to Win and Keep the Right To Marry

Washington, DC-- October 2, 1995 -- The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
(NGLTF) is pleased to announce its latest publication, To Have and To Hold:
Organizing for Our Right To Marry.  Working in conjunction with the National
Freedom To Marry Coalition, a working group of local, state and national
organizations, NGLTF has created an organizing tool geared to teach activists
how to win and keep our freedom to marry to supplement NGLTF's educational
and organizing work.

 To Have and To Hold  is a comprehensive, easy to use, activist-friendly work
kit for educating and organizing your community.  The guide contains:

 x The latest background information on marriage cases
 x How to start a marriage group in your community
 x Handy tips, convenient checklists and soundbites
 x How to fight Radical Right attacks and hostile legislation
 x Questions & Answers
 x Action Items
 x Press strategies, including talking points and a sample "letter to the
editor"
 x The Marriage Resolution
 x Valuable organizing resources, including a guide to marriage on the
Internet and more
 x Almost everything you'll need to organize for our freedom to marry!

 "Marriage is coming at us like a 3,000 ton locomotive," said Robert Bray,
NGLTF Field Organizer and author of the manual  "We must educate ourselves,
foster a discussion in our own community, organize and drive the issue from
the grassroots up.  To Have and To Hold is a tool which will prove invaluable
to this organizing effort."

 In addition to NGLTF's public education and organizing supporting the right
to marry, NGLTF has committed to assisting activists through participation in
the National Freedom to Marry Coalition.  NGLTF endorsed the Coalition's
Marriage Resolution, supporting the rights of same-gender couples who would
choose to legally marry and has contributed to the Coalition's media and
state organizing efforts.  NGLTF grassroots contacts will serve as the base
of organizing support as the Coalition broadens its work into the state and
local levels.

   Added Tracey Conaty, NGLTF Field Organizer and Freedom to Marry Coalition
representative, "NGLTF is playing an active role in the national leadership
for our freedom to marry.  This unprecedented coalition will supplement
NGLTF's educational and organizing focus on marriage and the family."

 To Have and To Hold is the signature piece of NGLTF's work for our right to
marry which also includes grassroots education, technical assistance and
activist trainings.  Upcoming trainings of interest to  marriage activists
include workshops at the eighth annual Creating Change Conference, Nov. 8-12
in Detroit, MI and the National Coming Out Week South Dakota Tour, Oct. 7-15.

NOTE: NGLTF anticipates release of the kit on October 15.  Each guide is $10
including shipping and handling.  Please call (202) 332-6483, ext. 3215 for
information on the manual or for bulk discounts for 5 or more guides.  To
ensure that you receive the first copies, please follow the steps on the
order form below.

 For more information on the Creating Change Conference call (202)332-6483,
ext. 3329.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------
Please complete the following form

YES please send me _____ copies of To Have and To Hold  
 Each guide is $10 including shipping and handling.

By Mail

I am enclosing a check for $_____
 Please make checks payable to: NGLTF Policy Institute
      2320 17th Street NW
      Washington, DC  20009

By Mail, E-mail, or Phone

Please bill me $_____ via credit card
 __ Visa   __MC   __DSCVR   __AMEX
 Credit Card Number ___________________________
 Exp. Date _______________
 Signature ____________________________(if mailed)

Mail to the above address, send e-mail to [email-masked] or, call (202)
332-6483, ext. 3327.

___ (check) YES, please send me information on the National Freedom to Marry
Coalition.

Send my marriage guide to:

Contact _____________________________
Organization (if applicable) _______________________

Mail Address _____________________________________

City/State/Zip _____________________________________

Res. Phone _______________________________

Bus. Phone _______________________________

E-mail Address ____________________________