Subject: MAINE VICTORY!!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 23:51:01 -0500

*************************************************
NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE
PRESS STATEMENT

from the 8th Annual Creating Change in Detroit, Michigan
Contact:  Beth Barrett, Robert Bray or Kerry Lobel
               (313) 568-2603 [email-masked]
*************************************************
MANDATE IN MAINE
ANTI-GAY INITIATIVE DEFEATED

The following statement is by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF)
and may be attributed to Melinda Paras, NGLTF Executive Director.
***
Nov. 7, 1995...Citizens of Maine rejected the latest -- and what some are
calling "new and improved" -- attempt by the Radical Right to deny gays,
lesbians and bisexuals protections against discrimination and equal rights.  

With 71% of the votes counted, gay and lesbian activists in Maine declared
victory tonight over Measure One  -- announcing that voters rejected, by
53.5%, Measure One, which would have overturned existing anti-discrimination
laws for gays as well as permanently prohibited the passage of any such
protections in future.  Although only Portland and Long Island have  anti-
discrimination laws, Measure One would also have repealed any
anti-discrimination protections in the state's university and college system,
and gutted the state hate crimes law by removing sexual orientation.

The Maine measure represents a dramatic evolution of the Radical Right's
campaign to deny gay people protection.  It is the first such statewide
ballot initiative east of the Mississippi.  Test marketed in the western
states of Idaho, Oregon and Colorado, the Far Right is now exporting the
ballot measures to the East.

In addition, it reflects a new strategy in terms of its wording.  Taking a
cue from the legal problems encountered by Colorado's anti-gay rights
referendum, the Maine measure does not specify "homosexuals" and is not a
constitutional 
amendment.  Instead, it creates a short list of who is included in civil
rights laws and who is not, who is protected against discrimination and, by
omission, 
who is vulnerable.  Those left off the list include gays and lesbians, low
income people, whistle blowers, workmen's compensation claimants, hunters, 
veterans, those seeking public assistance, and many others.

The measure asked, "Do you favor the changes in Maine law limiting protected 
classifications in future, state and local laws to race, color, sex, physical

and mental disability, religion, age, ancestry, national origin, familial 
status, and marital status, and repealing existing laws which expand these 
classifications as proposed by citizen petition?

Today, the voters of Maine have repudiated this new, anti-democratic strategy
of 
the Radical Right.  They were not confused nor frightened by the rhetoric of 
"special rights."  Gay people do not seek anything special, only the same
basic 
rights as all Americans, including the right to work and live free of 
discrimination on the job and in our housing. 

Maine is a fiercely independent state, reflected in its culture and in its
state 
and Congressional politics.  This divisive measure was written and supported
by 
outsiders -- in particular Bruce Fein, a right-wing lawyer in Virginia who
has 
worked with radical right groups in other states.  It was drafted to be 
intentionally confusing.  That's why more than 70 state business, religious, 
educational and political groups and leaders opposed it.

Let this be a mandate to Concerned Maine Families and other Radical Right
forces 
considering anti-gay ballot measures elsewhere: The American public is
catching 
on to your measures of hate and polarization.  A majority of citizens oppose 
discrimination against gay people. Voters will not fall victim to campaigns
of 
distortion and mistruths.

The battle against Measure One was significant for what it portends for the 
future.  NGLTF campaign consultant Susan Hibbard, in the field in Maine,
reports 
an unparalleled grassroots educational and visibility campaign in all 16 
counties has changed the way the state views its gay, lesbian and bisexual 
citizens.  The isolation and fear of being gay, especially in rural places,
has 
been altered by new-found and strengthened visibility and support for gays
and 
our allies at the forefront of this battle.  So many people came to our side
to 
help.  They proclaimed, "This issue brought me out."  Indeed, the ballot
measure 
may have even backfired against the Radical Right.  Intended to push gays and

lesbians back into the closet, it instead galvanized us and our supporters.

But we know the Radical Right does not give up easily.  As long as it remains

acceptable to discriminate, scapegoat and stigmatize gays in America, they
will 
continue to advocate intolerance.  The people of Maine must remain vigilant.
 
Gay, lesbian and bisexual people must come out every day to carry on the 
education campaign of who we are and what we really seek, and not just during

the campaign.  Citizens must reject discrimination. 

Our victory -- while ecstatic -- is tempered with the fact the Radical Right
has 
forced us to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to battle this measure 
when instead we could have used it for health care for all citizens, gay
youth 
services, hate crimes victims, AIDS education and other services that build 
communities instead of tearing them apart.

Now, we look to the future.  The victory over Measure One offers us a
tremendous 
potential to seize the momentum and pass a statewide non-discrimination law
in 
Maine.  The law was recently introduced in the state legislature by Dale 
McCormick.  Originally passed in 1993 but vetoed by then conservative
governor 
Kiernan, the bill can capture the new-found awareness of the extent of real 
discrimination and persecution suffered by the gay and lesbian citizens of 
Maine.  Governor Angus King, a huge supporter of the No On 1 campaign, is 
expected to sign such legislation.

Our battle for equality -- our struggle to transform how society thinks and 
votes on us  -- is ongoing and is not defined by the beginning and end of
ballot 
campaigns.  Today we celebrate our victory.  We salute the campaign workers
of 
Maine Won't Discriminate and every gay, lesbian, bisexual and non-gay person
who 
stood up to be counted.  Tomorrow we rest and heal.  The day after that we
pick 
up the mantel again and continue our fight.
###

Note:  This statement is being released from the 8th Annual National Gay and 
Lesbian Task Force Creating Change Conference, currently being held in
Detroit, 
Michigan.  Representatives of Maine, riding the outcome of the Measure One 
battle, will attend Creating Change and debrief attendees.  Well more than
1,000 
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender activists are expected to attend the 
conference, the largest gathering of gay activists in the U.S.  For more 
information about Creating Change, contact the conference press office at 
(313)568-2603.