Subject: Media Dir. Job Announcement
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 18:30:15 -0400

Editors/writers,

Following is a job announcement for media director at the National Gay and
Lesbian Task Force.  The closing date is soon--Sept. 30--with a start date as
soon as possible.  Please forward it to individuals who you think may be
interested in the position. Thank you.
------------------------- 
NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE
ANNOUNCEMENT OF JOB OPENING

MEDIA DIRECTOR

General Description
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director, the Media Director (1) oversees
creation and implementation of NGLTF's media plan (2) works with the gay and
mainstream media to ensure positive coverage of gay and lesbian issues and
enhance image of NGLTF (3)  assists gay and lesbian organizations and
activists in media organizing and advocacy.

Specific Duties
Oversees creation and implementation of NGLTF media plan
* develops department budget and media plan
* monitors department expenditures
* supervises media interns
* participates in weekly program staff meetings to ensure internal/external
communication
* participates in weekly Management Team meetings

Works with gay and mainstream media to ensure positive coverage of gay and
lesbian issues and enhance image of NGLTF.
* responds to press inquiries
* fulfills requests for information on deadline
* assists reporters and editors in preparing articles
* conducts press conferences and other media activities as needed
* writes/distributes press releases, fact sheets, press kits and other news
and promotion
* cultivates relationships with reporters, producers and editors to
facilitate positive coverage
* proactively places articles in gay and mainstream media that reflect in a
positive manner the gay and lesbian community
* writes speeches, statements and op-ed pieces

Responds to requests for assistance from gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgender organizations and activists.

Qualifications include the following:
* At least three years experience as a media advocate on the local, state,
regional or national level
* Knowledge of all aspects of gay and mainstream media including print media,
television, and radio
* Familiarity with alternative communications, including cyber media
* Knowledge of the the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community and
its issues nationally and regionally
* Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing
* Extensive contacts with the gay and mainstream press
* Familiarity with Macintosh-based computer systems, Compuserve, etc.
* Demonstrated experience working in a multi-cultural environment where
commitment to diversity based on race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual
orientation and physicaly ability is an important insitutional value
* Extensive experience building coalitions and linkages with allies across
race, gender, religion, age, class and culture

Resumes must be received by  September 30, 1995.  Start date:  as soon as
possible.  Send resume, cover letter and three references to Kerry Lobel,
NGLTF, 2320 Seventeenth Street, N.W., Washington DC 20009; (202) 332-0207
fax; [email-masked].