Subject: NGLTF Alert: INTERNET CENSORSHIP
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 12:24:49 -0400

*************************************************
   National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

     ACTION ALERT ! ACTION ALERT ! ACTION ALERT !

(202) 332-6483
2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009
Fax (202) 332-0207  TTY (202) 332-6219
( compiled from NGLTF sources and  People For the American Way)
*************************************************

June 6, 1995

YOUR HELP IS NEEDED NOW TO DEFEAT
THE COMMUNICATIONS DECENCY ACT OF 1995

  The Communications Decency Act of 1995, Senator J. James Exon's (D-NE)
attempt to protect children from not only obscene but "indecent, lewd,
lascivious, and filthy communications," which would at the same time severely
threaten free expression on the Internet and other on-line networks, is
poised to pass the United States Senate this week.  The Communications
Decency Act was added to S. 652 by the Senate Commerce Committee in March and
that bill is expected to hit the floor by Thursday of this week.

   While lobbyists have tried to work with Senator Exon and other members of
the Senate to remove the unconstitutional language from the
telecommunications legislation, it appears that those efforts will ultimately
be unsuccessful.  Therefore your help is needed now to send a message to
every member of the Senate that the Communications Decency Act poses a severe
threat to the First Amendment and would virtually cripple the currently
expanding world of on-line communications.

   PLEASE CALL OR FAX SENATORS BY CLOSE OF BUSINESS TODAY TUESDAY, JUNE 6,
1995 AND TELL THEM TO VOTE AGAINST S. 652 UNLESS THE COMMUNICATIONS DECENCY
ACT IS STRIPPED FROM THE BILL.  Call the Senate Switchboard:  202-224-3121

   ASK THAT YOUR SENATORS INSTEAD SUPPORT S. 714, AN ALTERNATE PROPOSAL
OFFERED BY SEN. PATRICK LEAHY (D-VT) THAT WOULD COMMISSION A STUDY TO REVIEW
EXISTING LAWS, ENFORCEMENT AND TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE TO PROTECT CHILDREN FROM
INNAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL IN CYBERSPACE.

Will this be a road sign on the information superhighway of the future?

WARNING:  ENTERING CYBERSPACE, PLEASE CHECK YOUR FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS AT
THE DOOR.
         
                                     -       -       -         -

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is a leading national membership
organization that has supported grassroots organizing since 1973.

For membership information:  email SXS [email-masked] or call (202) 332-6483.