Subject: NGLTF Honors Cong. Black Caucus
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 11:23:44 -0400

*************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
NEWS RELEASE

Contact:          Beth Barrett       (202) 332-6483 ext. 3215
                      [email-masked]   

2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009
*************************************************

CONGRESSIONAL BLACK CAUCUS HONORED

National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Thanks CBC Before a 
Packed House of National and Community Leaders 

Washington, DC -- October 25, 1995 --Over 250 national and community leaders
and supporters packed the Hyatt Regency last night as the National Gay and
Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) paid tribute to the Congressional Black Caucus
(CBC).  The gala affair, which featured a stunning performance by Grammy
award-winning Sweet Honey and Rock, honored the CBC for their unfailing
support of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues in Congress.

Keith Boykin, Executive Director of the National Black Gay and Lesbian Task
Force served as Master of Ceremonies and co-chair of NGLTF's sixth annual
Honoring Our Allies event.  Introducing the speakers, Boykin highlighted the
CBC's voting record including support of domestic partnership registration in
Washington, DC, gays in the military and the Hate Crime Statistics Act.
 Boykin stressed the importance of CBC support given the efforts of the
Radical Right to drive a wedge between the African-American community and the
gay and lesbian community.

Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) lauded the CBC for their consistent support of the
gay and lesbian community.  The openly gay Massachusetts congressman said he
had come to count on the support of the CBC members.  "It's nice to have
friends who will help when you call on them," Frank said.  "It's even nicer
when you don't have to ask."  Frank also praised NGLTF for its leadership
role in honoring the CBC, whose support has too often gone unrecognized.
 "This is true leadership, folks," Frank said.

Presenting the award, Melinda Paras, NGLTF Executive Director, called on the
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community to "wake up" and recognize
true friends.  "We make a mistake," said Paras, "when we focus on our enemies
and forgot to honor our friends."  

Paras highlighted the common bonds shared by the CBC and the gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgender community--both, she said, "support fairness and
equality for all, a theme that runs contrary to the reactionary mood of the
country."

--more--
NGLTF Honors CBC
Page Two

"Many leaders would have you believe that there are those deserving of
equality and those who are not --  some who are worthy of fairness and
other's who are not.  But there are no good oppressions and bad oppressions
-- no good diseases and bad  --  no good equality and bad equality," Paras
said.

Paras also noted the important role that gays and lesbians of color play in
"bridging the gap" and drawing attention to the linkages between many
communities.  "We 'get it' from both sides," she said.  Paras reminded
listeners that it is "foolish to think that we can win gay rights in an
atmosphere that is deconstructing affirmative action and pushing English-only
legislation."

CBC chairman, Rep. Donald Payne (D-NJ), said the CBC would support what was
right regardless of the politics of the day.  "We will continue to be the
conscience of Congress," said Payne.  Accepting the award on behalf of the
CBC, Payne urged cooperation in a common struggle.  "We all must join hands
and battle oppression wherever it rears its ugly head across America."

Many members of the CBC took part in the festivities including:
 Representatives Julian Dixon (D-CA), Alcee Hastings (D-FL), Sheila Jackson
Lee (D-TX), John Lewis (D-GA), Carrie Meek (D-FL), Eleanor Holmes Norton
(D-DC) and senior staff to Rep. Kweisi Mfume (D-MD).

Rep. Neil Abercrombie (D-HI), Rep. Mike Ward (D-KY), Marsha Scott, Deputy
Assistant to the President for Political Affairs, Deval Patrick, Assistant
Attorney General for Civil Rights, Stuart Ishimaru, Counsel to Assistant
Attorney General Patrick and senior staff to Rep. Gerry Studds (D-MA) were
also on hand to pay tribute to the CBC.

Note:  Color photos of the event are available.  Voting records are also
available.  Please contact Beth Barrett at (202) 332-6483, ext. 3215 .

--end--