Subject: Hearing Wrap-Up-12/6
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 18:50:48 -0500

VOICES OF HATE DOMINATE HEARING 
Anti-Gay Extremists Self Destruct As
True Hearing Agenda Unveiled in Second Day

Washington, DC -- December 6, 1995 -- By the day's end, the "Parents, Schools
and Values," Congressional hearing revealed itself to be precisely what youth
advocates had feared: a taxpayer funded platform for anti-gay extremists.
 The two day hearing came to a close today before the House Economic and
Employment Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations.  The hearings became
the focus of a national outcry when Lou Sheldon, an anti-gay extremist and
Chairman of the Traditional Values Coalition, claimed the hearings were
scheduled at his request to discuss the "promotion of homosexuality in the
public schools."

 Opening the hearings, Chairman Peter Hoekstra (D-MI) said the ten witnesses
would explore the role of parents in schools and values in the "big picture."
 Nevertheless, by the second day as witness after witness lashed out against
sex education, HIV prevention and youth support programs in schools, the true
nature of the hearings became apparent.  Perhaps due to the national outcry,
the subcommittee called on four of the ten witnesses to address the impact of
violence and harassment against youth grappling with issues of sexual
orientation.  No gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender youth were called upon
to testify at the hearing.

  "Lou Sheldon's extreme views came across loud and clear," said Helen
Gonzales, Public Policy Director for the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.
 "Even though the committee did not completely stack the deck against us:
intolerance of differing views and an anti-democratic approach to education
were the themes of the day."

 During the first day of hearings, witnesses William Bennett and Patricia Ann
Baltz spoke in general terms about the need to infuse values into public
schools.  The word "homosexual" came up only once when Rep. Chaka Fattah
(D-PA) asked Bennett how he might address the issues of racism and homophobia
and the harassment and violence they can inspire in schools.  A question
Bennett failed to directly address.

 During the second day, as expected,  witnesses discussed school services and
programs which address prevention of HIV, hate-violence in schools and the
high incidence of suicide among gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth.
 Several witnesses misrepresented these community efforts as attempts to
"recruit and promote homosexuality."  At least one witness complained about
schools "promoting homosexual lifestyles as normal," while another witness
claimed that "homosexuality is sinful."

A Totalitarian Approach

 What several witnesses proved with their testimony was that they supported a
totalitarian approach to education.  Despite the subcommittee's emphasis, it
was clear that at least some of the witnesses were present to complain that
schools and school boards had not adopted their views, calling on the federal
government to enforce a narrow agenda in local curriculum.  The minority
status of their viewpoints seemed unimportant.

 Warren Grantham, a parent from St. Paul, MN, complained that a
state-prepared pamphlet used in the schools pushed gays and lesbians as role
models.  According to Mr. Grantham providing gays and lesbians as positive
role models was the equivalent of providing drug dealers or alcoholics as
role models.  According to Mr. Grantham,  "if we want kids to not use drugs
we don't show them drug dealers as role models.  Similarly, if we want kids
not to use alcohol, we don't provide them with alcoholics as role models."

 Grantham and a second witness, Nancy Maclone from East Falmouth, MA, both
complained about school programs adopted by their local school boards.  In
both cases, the voters in their communities had publicly approved the youth
support and sex education programs in question.  Both received criticism from
some members.

 "As Rep. Martinez (D-CA) pointed out," said Gonzales, " it is important to
take your case to the public and try and convince other parents and voters of
your position.  But when you lose, it means that the majority of the public
does not agree with those positions put forth in the campaign - that is how
democracy works."

 Another witness claiming to be an "expert" in the federal funding of
homosexuality failed to produce adequate documentation for her outrageous
claims.

The Radical Right Connection

 In a letter sent Tuesday to Rep. Hoeksta, NGLTF Executive Director, Melinda
Paras wrote, "the Radical Right will not rest until they have forced their
narrow-minded ideas onto every facet of our society.  Right wing extremists
hope to promote only their narrow definition of the 'acceptable' family."
 Referencing the hearing's connection to Lou Sheldon, Paras enclosed a pants
pocket as a protest against the appearance that Congress is perched "in the
back pocket of the Radical Right."

 According to NGLTF research, the hearings come at the close of a year that
has seen an unending attack gay issues in schools.  Of the 39 anti-gay state
measures tracked by NGLTF this year, 17, roughly 44% focused on gay-related
educational policies -- mandating only negative references to gay-related
issues and individuals through the education system.

 "These Congressional hearings are only the tip of the iceberg," said Beth
Barrett, NGLTF spokesperson.  "The Radical Right's quest is to dismantle sex
education and safe school programs by keeping quality, honest and factual
information out of the hands of young people."

--end--