Subject: NGLTF Public Policy Director
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 17:10:52 -0400

NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE
PRESS RELEASE

Contact: Robin Kane, Media Director, 202-332-6483, ext. 3311; [email-masked]

 NGLTF NAMES PUBLIC POLICY DIRECTOR

Washington, DC -- July 21, 1995 -- Long-time consumer and civil rights
advocate Helen Gonzales has been appointed Director of Public Policy at the
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) in Washington, DC.  Gonzales will
be responsible for formulating progressive public policy positions and
leading NGLTF's response to public policy on the state, regional and national
level.  

 The Public Policy Department develops and implements constituent activities
that support a grassroots public policy agenda; organizes and participates in
coalitions to affect governmental policies and priorities; develops policies,
positions, strategies and responses which advocate in areas affecting the gay
and lesbian community and our allies; represents NGLTF at hearings and public
meetings on legislative and regulatory issues of concern; and provides
information and technical assistance to local, state and national groups
working on public policy issues.  The public policy director will work
closely with field organizers in assisting local and state organizers in
response to policy issues.

 Gonzales has 20 years of public policy experience which includes advocacy on
the local, state and federal levels.  Gonzales has served as staff advocate
at the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) for the past ten years,
representing low-income clients before federal agencies and Congress on
issues relating to energy and utility needs of low-income families.
 Gonzales' other responsibilities at NCLC include providing technical
assistance and training to legal services attorneys and advocates throughout
the country; providing testimony, fact sheets and memos to Congress and
advocates in the field on legislative issues; drafting federal legislation
and committee report language; and coordinating legislative coalitions. 

 Prior to her work at NCLC, Gonzales was associate counsel with the Mexican
American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, where she administered the DC
office of the civil rights organization, implemented legislative priorities
especially focusing on immigration reform, and served as a member of the
Leadership Conference on Civil Rights.  She also served as assistant counsel
for six years on the US House Judiciary Subcommittee on Civil and
Constitutional Rights and for three years as a staff attorney in the
California State Assembly.

 Gonzales, age 48, is currently active with the Mautner Project for Lesbians
with Cancer in Washington, DC, having served on the board of directors in
1992.  Last year, she represented the project at the first National Latina
Lesbian Conference, held in Arizona, where she presented a workshop on Latina
lesbian health issues.  She has also served on the board of directors of the
Women's Legal Defense and Educational Fund and the Berkeley-Albany, CA
chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.  She received her law degree
from the University of California at Berkeley and her bachelors from
California State University.

 "Last year's elections have increased the challenges facing our communities,
on the local as well as national level," Gonzales said.  "To stop the agenda
of the Radical Right from succeeding, it is critical that we find ways to
work together -- and to agree to disagree where necessary -- rather than
finding issues that divide us."

 "I believe it is also important to reach out and work with communities of
color and other allies who are also under attack by the Right," Gonzales
added.  'Since NGLTF shares this commitment to coalition-building in efforts
to defeat the Radical Right, I'm excited about the opportunity to use my
extensive public policy and coalition-building experience at the Task Force.
 I look forward to working in conjunction with the dedicated Field and Policy
Institute staff at NGLTF to create a model of programs that deliver for our
communities."

 "We're excited about the breadth of experience that Helen brings to the Task
Force," said NGLTF Executive Director Melinda Paras.  "Her work at both the
state and national levels perfectly reflects NGLTF's commitment to assisting
grassroots activists with their battles on the frontlines while also
mobilizing them to respond to federal issues."

 Gonzales will begin her position with NGLTF on August 21.

--end--

[Editors may receive a photo of Helen Gonzales from Robin Kane, NGLTF Media
Director, at 202-332-6483, ext. 3311]