Subject: Tracey Conaty joins NGLTF Staff
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 16:57:36 -0400

NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE
PRESS RELEASE

Contact: Robin Kane, 202-332-6483, ext. 3311
[email-masked]

HEAD OF D.C. ANTI-VIOLENCE GROUP  
JOINS NGLTF GRASSROOTS ORGANIZING STAFF

GLOV's Tracey Conaty to Serve as Field Organizer

Washington, D.C. -- June 20, 1995 -- The co-chair of the D.C.
anti-gay/lesbian violence project for the past five years has joined the
staff of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) as a field
organizer.   Tracey Conaty, the founder and current co-chair of the
D.C.-based Gay Men and Lesbians Opposing Violence (GLOV), will work in the
seven-member Grassroots Organizing department of NGLTF, assisting local
activists around the nation.

 As GLOV co-chair, Conaty coordinated all aspects of the local anti-violence
project.  She supervised many services for the all-volunteer GLOV, such as
conducting sensitivity trainings for the police department, serving as
liaison to the police, advocating for victims with the police and in the
court system, providing crisis counseling and training volunteers to assist
victims.  She oversaw the collection of statistical data on anti-gay/lesbian
violence and wrote the annual report on such incidents. Conaty also served as
local media spokesperson on the issue of anti-gay violence, and has appeared
and been quoted extensively in regional media.

 In addition to her volunteer work with GLOV, Conaty was employed as Victim
Services Coordinator by Whitman-Walker Clinic, the gay and lesbian health
clinic of D.C.  At Whitman-Walker, she previously served as an assistant in
the Mental Health Services Department.  Prior to her work at Whitman-Walker,
Conaty was a research assistant at Public Citizen, a consumer advocacy
organization founded by Ralph Nader.  She is currently enrolled part-time in
a masters program in social work at Howard University.

 "We're thrilled to have Tracey join our team," said Kerry Lobel, NGLTF
Deputy Director.  "Tracey brings enormous hands-on experience that will prove
invaluable to other local organizers seeking assistance from NGLTF.  We're
proud that NGLTF can help connect this seasoned organizer with others around
the nation."

 "Tracey's been in the trenches at the local level for a long time, and
offers a wealth of experience that local activists across the country need,"
said Kevin Berrill, former NGLTF staff member and long-time anti-violence
organizer.  "She brings knowledge of many organizing issues -- in addition to
her work against violence, she also has experience in AIDS and lesbian health
issues from her work at Whitman-Walker.  On a personal level, Tracey has the
capacity to listen as well as lead.  She's a careful and thoughtful organizer
who has gained the respect of a broad spectrum of the gay, lesbian and
bisexual community in D.C.."

 "Tracey is one of the most vocal spokespersons in our community, speaking
out against violence against people of color and gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgender people," said Wanda Alston, co-chair of the D.C. Coalition of
Black Gay Men, Lesbians and Bisexuals.  "I've been very impressed with her
work and the way she gives back to the community.  She has helped me feel
compelled to continue my work locally and on the national level."

 Conaty will begin her position on July 5 as one of two D.C.-based field
organizers, joining Karen Bullock-Jordan.   She will respond to requests from
local organizers around the country for information, publications and
resources.  Conaty will also conduct movement building trainings and
workshops and will work with local activists to mobilize their communities to
meet emerging community needs and problems.  The other five NGLTF field
organizers are based around the country, and spend much of their time on the
road.  They include Robert Bray (San Francisco -- media); Susan Hibbard (New
York City -- part-time campaign consultant); Sue Hyde (Cambridge, MA --
Creating Change conference); Scot Nakagawa (Portland, OR -- opposition
research, coalition building and organizational development); and Curt
Shepard (Los Angeles -- campus organizing).  
--end--

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is a leading national civil rights
organization that has supported grassroots organizing since 1973.

[Editor's Note: Photos of Tracey Conaty are available by calling Beth Barrett
at 202-332-6483, ext. 3215.]