Subject: NGLTF On Security Exec. Order
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 12:06:21 -0400

NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE

PRESS RELEASE
Contact: Robin Kane, (202) 332-6483, ext. 3311; [email-masked] 

NGLTF STATEMENT ON EXECUTIVE ORDER ON 
SECURITY CLEARANCES

Washington, D.C. -- August 4, 1995 -- The following statement is in response
to the Executive Order that bars discrimination based on sexual orientation
in the issuance of government security clearances.  The order, being issued
today by President Bill Clinton, marks the first time a Presidential order
specifically bars discrimination based on sexual orientation.  The order
states that "The United States government does not discrimination on the
basis of...sexual orientation in granting access to classified information."
 It goes on to state, "...No inference concerning the standards in this
section may be raised solely on the basis of the sexual orientation of the
employee."  The following statement is attributable to Melinda Paras,
executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF).

 The President's action is an important step toward eradicating job
discrimination based on sexual orientation.  

 Past discrimination in granting security clearances was based on myths
rather than facts, which is dangerous public policy.   History has shown that
gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals do not pose any security risk simply
because of their sexual orientation and should not face arbitrary
discrimination.  

 It is important for the federal workforce to end all codified employment
discrimination based on sexual orientation, which polls show is an action
most Americans support.  The federal workplace and those companies that
contract with the government contain literally millions of employees.
 Additionally, federal rules and regulations are often used as guidance for
other policies in the state and local arenas and the private sector.

--end--

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is a leading national civil rights
organization that has supported grassroots organizing since 1973.