Subject: Cracking the Corporate Closet
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 19:05:38 -0400

NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE PRESS RELEASE

April 18, 1995

Contact: Robin Kane, (202) 332-6483, ext. 3311; [email-masked]

HARPER BUSINESS RELEASES "CRACKING THE CORPORATE CLOSET," PRODUCED IN
ASSOCIATION WITH NGLTF

Book Highlights "The 200 Best (and Worst) Companies"
 on Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Issues 

Washington, DC -- April 18, 1995 -- Workplace issues for gay, lesbian and
bisexual employees have made headlines, and now they've made it to hardback.
 HarperBusiness has just released "Cracking the Corporate Closet," an
exhaustive look into the internal policies of 200 corporations and their
impact on gay, lesbian and bisexual employees and consumers.  The book,
subtitled "The 200 Best (and Worst) Companies to Work for, Buy from and
Invest in If You're Gay or Lesbian--and Even If You Aren't," is written by
Daniel Baker, Sean O'Brien Strub and Bill Henning in association with the
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) Policy Institute.

 In conjunction with an NGLTF workplace questionnaire, the authors of
"Cracking the Corporate Closet" collected a variety of data that indicate
workplace climate for gay, lesbian and bisexual employees.  Basic criteria
for consideration were the existence of non-discrimination policies that
include sexual orientation, domestic partner policies and benefits, diversity
training  and AIDS education programs, gay/lesbian/bisexual employee groups,
and whether companies consider marketing to the gay community.  The 240-page
book includes several summarizing lists, but predominantly discusses survey
findings in narrative form with corporations grouped by type, such as "Banks"
and "Publishing."

 "Workplace organizing is an exploding phenomenon, with new
gay/lesbian/bisexual employee groups launched virtually on a daily basis,"
 said Melinda Paras, NGLTF executive director.  "Because the workplace is
where many Americans spend a majority of their day, this is an important
frontier for organizing in support of gay, lesbian and bisexual equality.
 NGLTF Policy Institute is proud to have worked with the authors of "Cracking
the Corporate Closet" to provide this information to inspire further activism
in the workplace."

 NGLTF will sponsor a workplace organizing intensive at our annual Creating
Change conference, to be held in Detroit November 10 through 13, 1995.  NGLTF
also coordinates a separate workplace organizing conference, with the next
gathering scheduled for April 1996.

 Daniel B. Baker is the author of two previous books; served as treasurer of
ACT UP/New York from 1988 to 1990; was deputy executive director of Gay Games
IV in 1994; and is currently president of Quotient Research, which conducts
and publishes research about gay and lesbian marketing issues.  Sean O'Brien
Strub is publisher and executive editor of POZ magazine, which focuses on
life with AIDS.  He is co-author of "Rating America's Corporate Conscience"
and is a long-time direct marketing whiz.  Bill Henning is deputy editor of
POZ magazine.
--end--