Subject: NGLTF on Admin./Colorado Case
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 15:23:14 -0400

National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
Press Release

Contact: Robin Kane,202- 332-6483, ext. 3311; [email-masked]
      Beth Barrett, 202-332-6483, ext. 3215
[email-masked]

 NGLTF RESPONSE TO ADMINISTRATION DECISION
AGAINST FILING BRIEF IN COLORADO SUPREME COURT CASE

Washington, DC -- June 8, 1995 -- Attorney General Janet Reno announced today
at her weekly press briefing that the Department of Justice would not file a
"friend of the court" brief in a U.S. Supreme Court review of an anti-gay
ballot measure.  That measure, Colorado's Amendment 2, passed by popular vote
in 1992 and specifically bans laws that prohibit discrimination against gay,
lesbian and bisexual individuals.  The measure was struck down by the
Colorado Supreme Court as unconstitutional last year.  A U.S. Supreme Court
decision is expected some time next year.

 In announcing that the Justice Department had determined not to participate
in this important case, the Attorney General said, "This was a matter in
which we were not a party.  We were not asked by the court to participate.
 There was no federal program or federal statute involved.  We determined
that we would not participate for those reasons."  According to Justice
Department officials, the Department does frequently file briefs even in
those cases where no federal program or statute is involved.

 The Attorney General told the press that she did not consider the political
issues behind the case, and instead focused on constitutional questions and
federal intervention.  However, published reports indicate that heated
discussions regarding the political and legal implications of filing a brief
were taking place within the Justice Department and between the Justice
Department and the White House.   Reports indicate that presidential advisor
George Stephanopoulos had expressed concern about the political ramifications
if the Administration filed a brief.  

 President Bill Clinton last year denounced ballot measures such as
Colorado's Amendment 2 as discriminatory and divisive, saying at the time
that "those who would legalize discrimination on the basis of sexual
orientation or any other grounds are gravely mistaken about the values that
make our nation strong."

 "Clearly, we're angry that this Administration would refuse to take a stand
against discrimination," said Kerry Lobel, Deputy Director at the National
Gay and Lesbian Task Force.  "The President denounced these type of ballot
measures last year.  It's disturbing to see the President reject this chance
to back up those comments with decisive action, especially when this is one
of the most important gay-related cases to ever reach the Supreme Court.  We
look to the President to act on principle, not just speak about it."

 "Colorado's Amendment 2 dangerously allows the majority of voters to limit
the civil rights and political access of one group of citizens -- in this
case, gay men, lesbians and bisexuals.  Amendment 2 permits discrimination
against certain citizens, and then blocks those citizens from using the
established legislative process to seek relief from that discrimination.
 These are the issues that will be facing the Supreme Court as it decides the
fate of Amendment 2."
--end--