Subject: NGLTF Board Mtg. 4/95
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 19:28:12 -0400

NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE
PRESS RELEASE

Contact: Robin Kane, 202-332-6483, ext. 3311; [email-masked]
      Beth Barrett, 202-332-6483, ext. 3215; [email-masked]

 NGLTF BOARD MEETS IN WASHINGTON, DC

New Grants and Bequests Totaling $300,000 Announced; 
Program Goals Reviewed; Progressive Alliances Re-Affirmed 

Washington, D.C. --  May 2, 1995 -- The Board of Directors of the National
Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) held one of its tri-annual meetings at
NGLTF offices in Washington, DC April 28-30.  At the meeting, notification of
two new foundation grants and three new bequests was announced.  The board
also heard presentations by staff regarding program-related work during the
first third of this year, and passed several policy resolutions re-affirming
the organization's commitments to progressive coalition-building. 

 The Albert List Foundation of New York City recently notified NGLTF that it
will be receiving a $75,000 grant to help support NGLTF's re-engineering
efforts.  That work includes computer upgrades, publication production, new
software acquisition and other technology enhancements aimed at increasing
the ability of NGLTF to deliver information and services more quickly to
activists in the field.  The Joyce Mertz-Gilmore Foundation, which last year
helped fund the move to NGLTF's new office space, has granted the
organization $45,000 for general support of the organization's work.  NGLTF
has also recently been notified of three bequests totaling $180,000 that will
be received in the coming months. 

 In other development and finance news, the projected 1995 budget of $3.2
million remains virtually unchanged after the board reviewed first quarter
financial statements and fundraising plans for 1995.  The board reviewed and
approved the organization's 1994 audited financial statement, prepared by
Kronzek & Co., CPA, confirming income of $2.7 million for NGLTF last year.
 Each board member met individually with development staff to develop
personal fundraising goals and plans for the remainder of the year.

 NGLTF Deputy Director Kerry Lobel offered an extensive report on the work of
the Field and Public Policy Departments.  She highlighted NGLTF involvement
in the following areas: Des Moines, Iowa's multi-cultural curriculum battle;
South Dakota's and Utah's anti-same sex marriage bills; Montana's "deviate
sexual conduct" debacle; media advocacy around the murder of Scott Amedure;
Alaska's pending anti-same sex marriage and anti-domestic partnership
measures; and the battle against anti-gay initiatives in Tampa, Florida and
Maine.  NGLTF Public Policy Associate Beth Barrett outlined plans for the
organization's work on same-sex marriage issues, in conjunction with Lambda
Legal Defense and Education Fund and others.

 "NGLTF has been effective in helping to 'put out the fires' that our
community has faced this year," Lobel noted.  "But we can't just put out
fires -- we must build the capacity and abilities of our movement."

 Lobel then outlined several upcoming Movement Building Institutes that will
be held in communities "that had been in crisis earlier this year, and now
have the breathing room to strategize into the future."  NGLTF just completed
an Institute in Alaska, and will soon be heading to Iowa, Utah and South
Dakota.

 Lobel delivered the program presentation on behalf of NGLTF Executive
Director Melinda Paras, who was in California attending the annual retreat of
executive directors from major gay/lesbian/bisexual groups throughout the
country that was arranged after NGLTF's board meeting already had been
scheduled.  

 Noted author and historian John D'Emilio, who will move to DC in July to
take the helm of the Policy Institute (the research and publication arm of
NGLTF) outlined his goals for this year.  D'Emilio said he intends to "help
close the gap between local activists and academics" by producing new
research and re-fashioning some existing academic research to make it more
accessible to activists.  D'Emilio outlined three areas where Policy
Institute work may be focused in the near future -- family, religion and
work.  D'Emilio identified these topics as areas where gay men, lesbians and
bisexuals are able to "burst out of our lavender bubble" and engage in
discussions with the larger community.  

 The board unanimously adopted three resolutions on critical national
political issues: welfare, affirmative action and immigration.  A preamble to
each resolution reads, "Recognizing that the civil rights of gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgender people are inextricably linked to the civil rights
of all people..."  The resolution on welfare reads: "[NGLTF] opposes the
elimination or reduction of government programs that provide needed food,
housing, health care and other basic services."  The resolution on
affirmative action reads:  "[NGLTF] supports the establishment and
continuation of policies and programs that attempt to address the continuing
effects of this nation's legacy of gender- and race-based discrimination, and
opposes the wholesale elimination of the concept of affirmative action."  The
resolution on immigration reads: "[NGLTF] opposes all legislative measures
that deny immigrants provision of basic needs, especially health care, and
campaigns that make immigrants scapegoats for societal problems."

 "Current events call on us to be clear on these issues as we move forward on
the national, state and local level in alliance with other organizations and
movements," said Board Co-Chair Deborah Johnson-Rolon.  "We recognize that in
order for this society to offer us the compassion and justice we seek as gay
and lesbian people, that compassion must exist for all.  We at NGLTF know
these issues are, in fact, controversial.  We believe it's important to take
a stand, for our coalition efforts and for our educational work within the
community."

 Other news from the April board meeting:
  
 * Two new board members participated in their first meetings: Catherine
Saalfield of New York City and John Duran of West Hollywood, CA (see related
press release).

 * NGLTF Board members met with representatives of Coors Brewing Company's
community relations/marketing division (one of whom is also a member of LAGER
-- Coors' lesbian/gay/bisexual employee group), granting a request by Coors.
 NGLTF board members participated in a frank discussion centering on NGLTF's
relationship to three Coors entities: LAGER, Coors Brewing Co., and the Coors
Foundation.  NGLTF had requested updated financial documents and stockholder
information about the relationship between Coors Brewing Co. and the Adolph
Coors Foundation.  Coors representatives did not meet that request.  NGLTF
will continue its current practice of not accepting donations or sponsorship
from Coors Brewing Co. or the Coors Foundation due to the well-documented
connection between those two entities and Radical Right organizations (see
The Coors Connection by Russ Bellant).   The NGLTF board re-affirmed its
support for LAGER in its efforts to improve the workplace for all gay,
lesbian and bisexual employees at Coors Brewing Co.  Coors representatives
agreed to stop using language in some company materials that implies NGLTF
endorsement of the company because it has a number of gay-positive employment
policies.

 * NGLTF board member Dee Mosbacher is beginning a project to create a video
in response to the anti-gay propaganda video, "Gay Rights/Special Rights."
 Mosbacher was nominated for an Academy Award this year for her short
documentary, "Straight From the Heart."

--end--