Subject: ACTION ALERT: NGLTF AIDS Legislation update
From: [email-masked]

NGLTF Action Alert Update * April 12, 1995

[email-masked]
(202)332-6483, x3303
=================================================
CARE Act & Recissions Update
CARE Act Sample Letter & co-sponsor list
=================================================

1.  FY 95 Recissions Update

The Senate version of FY 95 recisions bill (HR 1158) did not contain any cuts
to HOPWA (Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS) or any other
AIDS-specified program.  However, the House passed bill does rescind the
entire FY 95 appropriation for HOPWA ($186 million).

2.  Ryan White CARE Act Reauthorization Act Update

Senate

Sens. Kassebaum and Kennedy introduced S.641 two weeks ago and it was
unanimously reported out of the Labor and Human Resources Committee with no
amendments   Almost 50 senators (48 as of 4/11/95) have already agreed to
co-sponsor the bill:

Republicans:  Kassebaum (KS), Chafee (RI), Coats (IN), Cohen (ME), Frist
(TN), Hatch (UT), Hatfield (OR), Jeffords (VT), Lugar (IN), Packwood (OR),
Warner (VA)

Democrats:  Kennedy (MA), Akaka (HI), Bingaman (NM), Boxer (CA), Breaux (LA),
Bryan (NV), Bumpers (AK), Daschle (SD), Dodd (CT), Dorgan (ND), Feingold
(WI), Feinstein (CA), Ford (KY), Glenn (OH), Harkin (IA), Heflin (AL),
Hollings (SC), Inouye (HI), Johnston (LA), Kerrey (NE), Kohl (WI), Leahy
(VT), Levin (MI), Lieberman (CT), Mikulski (MD), Mosley-Braun (IL), Moynihan
(NY), Murray (WA), Pell (RI), Pryor (AK), Reid (NV), Robb (VA), Rockerfeller
(WV), Sarbanes (MD), Simon (IL), Wellstone (MN)

Please send letters urging support for the bill, especially to those members
not already signed on as co-sponsors.

Sample ltr:

Dear Senator:

We are writing today to request your support for S.641, the Ryan White
Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Reauthorization Act of 1995.
 By a unanimous, bipartisan vote, S.641, co-sponsored by Senators Kassebaum
and Kennedy, was reported out of the Senate Labor & Human Relations Committee
on Wednesday, March 29.  I respectfully ask that you co-sponsor S. 641, if
you have not already done so, and to advocate for its swift consideration by
the full Senate.

Over the last five years, the Ryan White CARE Act has provided a
critically-needed lifeline of medical and support services to people living
with HIV/AIDS across the nation and has served as a model of community-based
programs which identify and implement a network of services responsive to the
unique and individual needs of each community.

The Ryan White CARE Act was enacted with overwhelming Congressional support
and continues to enjoy bipartisan support in both the Senate and the House.
 Senate passage of reauthorization of the Ryan White CARE Act will represent
an important sign of Congressional leadership in ensuring taht individuals
and families living with HIV/AIDS continue to have access to compassionate
and comprehensive health care and social services.  We urge you to cosponsor
S.641, if you have not already done so, and to advocate for its passage now.
 Thank you very much.

Respectfully,

House

The House Commerce Subcommittee on Health and the Environment held a hearing
on the Ryan White CARE Act.  Went well overall - there were a number of
questions regarding HIV testing and pregnant women,  funding equity and the
FDA.  Further hearings will probably be held in May.

(Information provided by NORA - National Organizations Responding to AIDS).