From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 10:23:49 -0400

*************************************************
   National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

          ACTION ALERT !    ACTION ALERT ! 

(202) 332-6483
2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009
Fax (202) 332-0207  TTY (202) 332-6219

**************************************************

June 23, 1995

YOUR HELP IS NEEDED NOW
TO PRESERVE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION

   On June 12 the Supreme Court delivered a blow to federal affirmative
action programs that could seriously hurt women and people of color.  In a
5-4 ruling, the Supreme Court outlined new rules that must be met before the
federal government can apply the program to assist currently and historically
oppressed groups.   Yet, while the new guidelines may present future
challenges, it was reassuring that seven of the nine Supreme Court Justices
reaffirmed their commitment to the basic principles of affirmative action.
 For many Americans, the recent ruling was a wake up call to the pending
battle over affirmative action.
    Supporters of affirmative action, including the National Gay and Lesbian
Task Force (NGLTF), fear that the Supreme Court's ruling will further
embolden opponents who would attack and weaken these programs.  President
Clinton and the US Senate have both initiated reviews of affirmative action
programs, while many right wing politicians have called for a broad range of
limitations or the wholesale elimination of such programs.  On June 1,
California Governor Pete Wilson (R) abolished an array of state affirmative
action programs in his state.  With this political backdrop, President
Clinton is expected to make his pronouncement on affirmative action in the
coming weeks.

What is Affirmative Action?

     Affirmative action is not a law, but a policy enacted by government
agencies, other employers and universities or is ordered by the courts to
remedy the continuing effects of past discrimination, compensate for present
discrimination, or to prevent discrimination from recurring in the future.
 To be permitted by law, affirmative action must involve only qualified
applicants and workers.  The courts have ruled that "if a party is not
qualified for a position in the first instance, affirmative action
considerations do not apply." 
     Much of the criticism of affirmative action programs stems from
misinformation and from the limited incidents when affirmative action has
been misapplied.  Right wing groups have inaccurately labeled the programs as
quota systems.  However the Executive Order on Affirmative Action, which is
the current standard for such federal programs, explicitly forbids quotas.
 Problems with affirmative action could be solved by better enforcement, NOT
through changing or abolishing the policy.
 
Is Affirmative Action a "Gay Issue?"

    Some might argue that race and gender affirmative action is not a "gay
issue."  However, race and gender affirmative action provides important
redress for the race and gender discrimination faced by lesbian, gay,
bisexual, and transgendered people of color and lesbian and bisexual women.
 It is important that we remember and include all of the lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender community when we fight for our rights.
    It is also an illusion to believe that the human dignity and civil rights
of our community can be recognized and protected in a society that is working
to dismantle policies geared toward remedying discrimination against any
group of people.  A healthy society, one in which homophobia can be
eradicated, is a society which acknowledges and takes responsibility for its
history of oppression and commits itself to eliminating discrimination for
all people.
   The Radical Right is behind a wide range of measures targeting oppressed
groups -- elimination of affirmative action, welfare reform, and
anti-immigrant legislation-- in addition to the stripping of rights of
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered people.  The Right uses the
rhetoric of "special rights" and the illusion of a finite amount of civil
rights, to pit one group against another. The Radical Right sees the
connections between the issues and so must we.  If any of these proposals
succeed, the Radical Right succeeds and is stronger.

What Threats Exist to Affirmative Action?
 
   In addition to the fear that President Clinton might bow to political
pressure by changing or distancing himself from affirmative action programs,
Congress may soon take up the issue.  Rep. Charles Canady (R-12th-FL) has
indicated that he will introduce legislation that would seriously undermine
equal opportunity for women and minorities by dismantling federal affirmative
action programs entirely.  Also, Senate and House debates on a myriad of
issues ranging from appropriations to regulatory reform may lead to
amendments attacking affirmative action.  The first Congressional attacks on
affirmative action may strike as early as next week and will likely continue
throughout the summer and possibly into the fall.

What Can We Do?

Call or write your Senators and Representative:

   Make the following points:

       x  Oppose anti-affirmative action legislation in whatever form it may
                
                  take.
       x  Be Deliberate and Be Responsible.
                  President Clinton and Senator Dole are both reviewing
affirmative 
                  action.  Take no steps until both studies are completed and

                  you have been able to review the recommendations.
        x  Don't roll back the clock on civil rights.

Call or write President Clinton:

    Tell the President-

        x  I support affirmative action.
        x  Don't roll back the clock on civil rights.

Lobby Your Employer to Do the Same:

   Congress and the President need to hear that businesses support
affirmative       
       action.  Ask your employer to make a call.

CONTACTS:  

x President Bill Clinton  (202) 456-1414 voice
    or email: [email-masked]

or write:
Executive Office of the President
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC   20500

x US Senators and Representatives - (202) 224-3121 voice

or write:
The Honorable__________             The Honorable__________
US Senate                                             US House of
Representatives
Washington, DC  20510                     Washington, DC   20515

           -            -               -             -                -
           -                -                -
The National Gay & Lesbian Task Force is a leading national civil rights0
organization that has supported grassroots organizing since 1973.  For
membership information, contact [email-masked] or call 202-332-6483.