Subject: CREATING CHANGE 95
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 19:28:00 -0400

*************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
MEDIA ALERT

Contact:          Beth Barrett       (202) 332-6483 ext. 3215
                      [email-masked]   

2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009
*************************************************
 
GAY MOVEMENT AT A CROSSROADS: 
MAJOR NATIONAL GATHERING  AT TIME OF DECISIVE BATTLES

Creating Change Conference in Detroit to Focus on Elections, Radical Right
Attacks, Supreme Court Colorado Case, Marriage and Other Issues

Washington, D.C. --  October 27, 1995 --. More than a thousand gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgender activists will gather in Detroit, Michigan, for
perhaps the largest ever national gay strategizing conference.  The 1995
Creating Change Conference occurs at a critical juncture in the gay and
lesbian movement when many battles and far-reaching decisions are coming
together at once:  The U.S. Supreme Court's pending ruling on the Colorado
Amendment 2 case, the prominence of gay, lesbian and bisexual issues in the
1996 Presidential Elections, Right Wing anti-gay ballot initiatives in Maine
and other states, workplace discrimination, and same-gender marriages, among
other controversial issues.

 The Creating Change Conference, sponsored by the National Gay and Lesbian
Task Force Policy Institute (NGLTF), will be held Nov. 10-12, at the downtown
Detroit Westin Hotel, Renaissance Center, on Renaissance Drive.  An opening
kickoff press conference will be held on Friday, November 10, 10:15 a.m.,
immediately following a provocative conference plenary on "The State of The
Gay Movement." The press conference will feature national and Great Lakes
region leaders.

 The conference will present some 180 workshops, plenaries, brown-bag
sessions, and cultural events.  Plenary speakers include Urvashi Vaid,
nationally known activist and author of "Virtual Equality: The Mainstreaming
of Gay and Lesbian Liberation;" Second-term Wisconsin State Rep. Tammy
Baldwin; Elias Farajaje-Jones, author, teacher, theologian, bisexual activist
recently featured in Newsweek; and Harry Britt, pioneer gay politician and
former member, San Francisco Board of Supervisors.  Numerous other gay
movement luminaries are scheduled to attend, including Dee Mosbacher, Deb
Price, Elizabeth Birch, Sean Strub, Debra Chasnoff, Scot Nakagawa, Dale
McCormick, Phill Wilson, Derek Hodel, Tim McFeeley, Amber Hollibaugh, Paula
Ettelbrick, Mab Segrest, Robert Bray, Rev. Cecil Prescod, Suzanne Pharr,
Suzanne Goldberg, and activists from almost every state. 

 For advance press credentials contact NGLTF's Beth Barrett,(202)332-6483,
ext. 3215.   Reporters should fax Barrett requests for credentials on media
letterhead at (202)332-0207; or show up with identification at the media
check-in room of the conference.  After November 7 call the hotel directly at
(313)568-8000 and ask for the NGLTF Creating Change Media Office. The
conference is open to the working press.  Workshops are open with permission
from facilitators. The People of Color Organizing Institute is for people of
color only.

Call Now for Advance Press Credentials