Subject: NGLTF Response to New Brain Study
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 13:16:38 -0500

*****************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
NEWS RELEASE

Contact:  Beth Barrett     (202) 332-6483 ext. 3215

2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009
*****************************************************
NGLTF STATEMENT ON  McMASTER BRAIN STUDY 

Task Force Applauds Research But Highlights Potential
For Unethical Use

Washington, DC  -- November 17, 1994 --  Biology may influence sexual
orientation according to a new study released Thursday.  The study, based on
brain scans of 11 homosexual and 10 heterosexual men, contributes to a
growing pool of research that suggests some biological link between the brain
and sexual orientation.  The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF)
welcomes studies into the complexities of human sexuality.  Regardless of the
scientific origins of homosexuality, however, NGLTF calls for an end to
discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Sandra Witelson, a psychiatry professor at McMaster University in Hamilton,
Ontario, Canada, said the study suggests that sexual orientation may be one
factor in an overall group of biological differences between gay and
heterosexual men.  Witelson suggested that her findings may show that gay men
have different mental skills from heterosexual men.

"Wittelson's study is an important addition to the growing body of evidence
indicating a biological basis for homosexuality in some people," said Peri
Jude Radecic, NGLTF Executive Director. "And it shows that homosexuality is a
naturally occurring and common variation among humans -- a fact that gay and
lesbian people have known all along."

"Regardless of the origins of homosexuality, however, discrimination based on
sexual orientation is wrong and must end," Radecic said. "This is especially
true to avoid potential genetic engineering if science should ever discover a
gene responsible for homosexuality." 

"Studies of human sexuality are not conducted in political and social
vacuums," Radecic noted, "The results must therefore be used in the most
ethical ways and precautions must be taken to ensure that the studies are not
used against any  individuals or groups." 

-more-

In the past, Right Wing organizations have claimed that homosexuality is not
genetically based and some groups therefore encouraged "reparative therapy"
to "cure" gay people of their "abnormal behavior." However, upon release of
the LeVay brain study three years ago, Rev. Lou Sheldon, an anti-gay activist
with the Traditional Values Coalition, insinuated that if homosexuality were
proven to be biologically based, he believed medicine and science should seek
to genetically alter homosexuals.

"We know that the Right Wing will use any research results against gay and
lesbian civil rights, because theirs is not a movement based on seeking the
truth but on perpetuating bigotry," Radecic said. "Our movement, on the other
hand, wants to end discrimination against gay, lesbian and bisexual people,
regardless of how or why sexual orientations vary."  

 -end-

For further information about the scientific and ethical questions
surrounding biological research, contact Rochelle Diamond of the National
Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals, (818)
791-7689.