From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 94 12:11:57 EDT

NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE
PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE    
Contact: David M. Smith, (202) 332-6483 ext. 3309
or pager (800) 757-7736 or 
Robin Kane, (202) 332-6483 ext. 3311

GROUPS NATIONWIDE SIGN ON TO
NGLTF HEALTH CARE REFORM CALL-IN DAY 

 Washington, D.C.-- (June 8, 1994) -- Nearly a dozen gay, lesbian and AIDS
organizations have signed on as co-sponsors of "Health Care Reform Call-In
Day" on Tuesday, June 28, sponsored by the National Gay and Lesbian Task
Force (NGLTF). As many health reform bills work their way through various
Congressional committees in June, the one-day lobby action is intended to
focus federal legislators' attention on the demand for health care that is
affordable, comprehensive and cannot be taken away. 

 Joining the organizing efforts are AIDS Project Los Angeles, American
Association of Physicians for Human Rights, Black Gay and Lesbian Leadership
Forum, Gay Men's Health Crisis, Human Rights Campaign Fund, National Alliance
of Lesbian and Gay Health Clinics, National Association of People With AIDS,
National Center for Lesbian Rights, National Lesbian and Gay Health
Foundation, San Francisco AIDS Foundation. These organizations will be
mobilizing their members, constituents and clients to participate in Health
Care Reform Call-In Day.

 NGLTF is asking individuals to contact their legislators on Tuesday, June
28, and deliver a simple, straightforward message: "We want affordable,
comprehensive health care that cannot and will not be taken away." Gay,
lesbian and bisexual constituents should advocate for the following criteria
in health care reform plans: universal coverage, comprehensive benefits, no
restrictions for pre-existing conditions, language barring discrimination
based on sexual orientation, and permanence.

 "It is crucial that gay, lesbian and bisexual constituents weigh in with
their Representatives and Senators during this time of federal debate and
compromise," said Marj Plumb, NGLTF Health Policy Director. "Our community
desperately needs health care reform for the same reasons as most Americans.
But we also face specific obstacles in the current system, such as high
levels of uninsured individuals, lack of coverage for our families, and
anti-gay/lesbian prejudice." 

 Constituents are encouraged to call their legislators through the Capitol
Switchboard, (202) 224-3121. Activists can also call the NGLTF Health Care
Reform Hot-Line at (202) 332-6483 ext. 3410 for updates on health reform
bills.

NEW ADDRESS: 2320 Seventeenth Street, NW, Washington, DC  20009
(202) 332-6483  t  (202) 332-0207 fax  t  (202) 332-6219 TTY